"Eastward Ho! Reliving Past Glories" Top 5 Page for this destination Eger by antistar
Eger Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 470 photos
The Hungarians love a good Turk bashing story. From the Fisherman's Bastion in Budapest to the bloody walls of Eger's castle, there's plenty of heroism for Hungarians to recall, and plenty of sadness for the Turks who lost their furthest foothold in Europe.
One Turk on VT once translated the lines of a Turkish song for me:
"Dont flow Danube, dont flow, I am in deep sorrow. I am an ill fated Turk who gave Esztergom to the Austrians."
The Hungarians celebrate it, and Eger in particular.
In Eger a hundred thousand Turks besieged the city, and every Hungarian man and woman in the city took to the walls to fend them off. Amazingly, there were only a few thousand people in Eger fighting the hundred thousand Turks. One of the stories that passed among the demoralised Ottomans was that the Hungarians were drinking Bull's Blood to keep up their inhuman strength.
That Bull's Blood, or Bikaver, is now immortalised as Eger's most famous drink: Egri Bikaver, a bottle of sometimes excellent red wine.
Eger is a beautiful city, probably the best outside Budapest I have seen. It has a number of impressive sights, including the Basilica, which is smaller than at Esztergom but perhaps more beautiful. There are also beautiful churches aplenty, a curious lyceum, and of course the great castle where the Turks were fought off.
And if you want to try some of that bull's blood, there's probably no place better than at the cellars of Szepassony-Volgy - the Valley of the Beautiful Women.
Photo Album on Facebook (better quality).
Travelling to Eger by bus is probably the best option. First the bus station is extremely central. It's just a couple of... more travel advice
The best part of Hungarian cooking for me are the pancakes, but so many restaurants here do them badly, some even... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Eger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome To Eger"
- "Eger - I was delighted"
- "Eastward Ho! Reliving Past Glories"
- "Eger - baroque town with a minaret."
- "Ben-UK's Eger page"
- "Land of Wine, Women and Song"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eger
- Hotels in Eger
- Transportation in Eger
- Nightlife in Eger
- Restaurants in Eger
- Shopping in Eger
- Warnings and Dangers in Eger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eger
- 12 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Eger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eger
Photos in EgerSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos