"Eastward Ho! Reliving Past Glories" Top 5 Page for this destination Eger by antistar

Eger Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 470 photos

The Hungarians love a good Turk bashing story. From the Fisherman's Bastion in Budapest to the bloody walls of Eger's castle, there's plenty of heroism for Hungarians to recall, and plenty of sadness for the Turks who lost their furthest foothold in Europe.

One Turk on VT once translated the lines of a Turkish song for me:

"Dont flow Danube, dont flow, I am in deep sorrow. I am an ill fated Turk who gave Esztergom to the Austrians."

The Hungarians celebrate it, and Eger in particular.

In Eger a hundred thousand Turks besieged the city, and every Hungarian man and woman in the city took to the walls to fend them off. Amazingly, there were only a few thousand people in Eger fighting the hundred thousand Turks. One of the stories that passed among the demoralised Ottomans was that the Hungarians were drinking Bull's Blood to keep up their inhuman strength.

That Bull's Blood, or Bikaver, is now immortalised as Eger's most famous drink: Egri Bikaver, a bottle of sometimes excellent red wine.

Eger is a beautiful city, probably the best outside Budapest I have seen. It has a number of impressive sights, including the Basilica, which is smaller than at Esztergom but perhaps more beautiful. There are also beautiful churches aplenty, a curious lyceum, and of course the great castle where the Turks were fought off.

And if you want to try some of that bull's blood, there's probably no place better than at the cellars of Szepassony-Volgy - the Valley of the Beautiful Women.

Photo Album on Facebook (better quality).

• Last visit to Eger: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 6, 2009

• picek's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2012 at 5:34 AM

We finally made a short trip to Eger and thoroughly liked it! I only regret we could not properly try bikaver... one glass, what is that! We'll probably go back anyway, since we're fans of Hungary! Great page and tips.

• MikeBird's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Some terific down to earth advice about the Lyceum. Thanks have taken note . Am off to Eger in a couple of weeks and your tips are whetting my appetite for some fabulous culture. Cheers, Mike

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Our plan in future is to get in the country and enjoy places like Eger. There are so many good looking spots to visit. My trip to Utah & Arizona was an for hiking and scenery, with remote spots near Kanab and Natural Bridges. I invite you to take a look.

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Eger