Szentendre Things to Do Tips by antistar
Szentendre Things to Do: 101 reviews and 213 photos
Fo Ter, Szentendre
The pretty and small main square makes for the perfect starting point for exploring the similarly small town centre. The slightly sloping pavement centers of a tree circled monument that looks like Zsolnay had a hand in the design. All of this is overshadowed by the glorious faded yellow baroque church of the almost unpronounceable Blagovestenszka.
Blagovestenszka Orthodox Church, Szentendre
One of at least two Serbian Orthodox churches, this one is one of the finest and most elegant in Szentendre. The baroque facade and bell tower give this church a distinctly southern European feel, but the squat black spire feels more eastern, almost Ukrainian. It's an interesting mix, sitting in the main square of a largely Catholic Central European country.
St. John's Church, Szentendre
Up above Fo Ter, in the centre of the encircling cobbled streets, is the highlight of Szentendre: St. John's Church. Not so much the church itself, which is fairly plain by Catholic standards, but the views of the town and Danube. Although the church is plain, there's still something elegant about the simple straight lines, and whitewashed stone walls, and they do well to not take away from the spectacular panoramas.
Serbian Orthodox Cathedral, Szentendre
A few hundred years ago the population of Szentendre was almost entirely Serbian. That should be enough to explain the existence of not only a Serbian Orthodox Church, but here in Szentendre they even have a cathedral. It's not too busy these days, since most of the Serbs have moved on, and the place is now almost exclusively Hungarian and Catholic.
The place can be spotted by its tall rose pink tower, and has an attached museum. The church and museum can be visited for a combined fee of 600 forints (about 2.5 euros).
More Reviews (2)
antistar's Related Pages
Szentendre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Serbs, Schlock, and Sacred Art in Szentendre"
- "A Great day trip from Budapest"
- "At the bend of the Danube"
- "Short guidebook to Szentendre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Szentendre
- Hotels in Szentendre
- Transportation in Szentendre
- Nightlife in Szentendre
- Restaurants in Szentendre
- Shopping in Szentendre
- Warnings and Dangers in Szentendre
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Hotels
- Tanjong Sepat Hotels
- Jupiter Island Hotels
- Las Vegas
- Eilat Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
Badges & Stats in Szentendre
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Szentendre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Szentendre
Photos in SzentendreSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 85 reviews, 154 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- Valletta Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stuttgart Intro, 45 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 41 reviews, 79 photos
Latest Szentendre hotel reviews
- Kentaur Hotel Szentendre
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 7, 2008