Rakvere Things to Do Tips by antistar
Rakvere Things to Do: 17 reviews and 21 photos
Town Square, Rakvere
The wide, expansive town square has been renovated beyond recognition. Once a place to tie up your cows ready for market, it's now a pleasantly designed, well laid out and relaxing park. It has fountains, and marbled patterned surface, with big, clean benches sitting under the square's most distinctive feature: giant pixie hats hanging from white concrete arches.
Tarvas Statue, Rakvere
Near the castle, on Vallimägi hill, overlooking one of the main roads into the town, is the giant seven ton bronze bull statue. Now as I said in the intro, the town used to be called Tarvaspää, or Bull's Head, so it's no surprise that they mark the town's 700th birthday by building a statue of a huge, imposing bull.
I would liked to have got more, better, pictures of the statue, but it was so cold on that hill, I swear my fingers would have snapped off if I'd stayed any longer.
Directions: From the castle, walk north up the hill to the statue.
Rakvere Castle, Estonia
This particular castle has been around since the 14th century, but there's evidence that it dates back much further than that. Before the stone castle, there was very likely a wooden fortification on the same spot.
There's not much left, due to it seeing a lot of combat. This was long a troubled region. The castle has been occupied by Germans, Danes, Swedes, Russians and Poles. It was pretty much destroyed during the 16th and 17th centuries, when Sweden, Russia and the Livonians (Lithuanians and Poles).
Directions: Walk west from the central square along Parkali, then walk up the stairs.
More Reviews (1)
antistar's Related Pages
Rakvere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GET TO KNOW RAKVERE"
- "The meat production capitol of Estonia !"
- "Ben-UK's Rakvere page"
- "A nice small town"
- "My home city :)"
- "The Old Bull's Head"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rakvere
- Hotels in Rakvere
- Transportation in Rakvere
- Restaurants in Rakvere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rakvere
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Rakvere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rakvere
Photos in RakvereSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 173 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 59 reviews, 147 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos