"The Old Bull's Head" Rakvere by antistar
Rakvere Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 43 photos
Rakvere used to be known as Tarvaspää, or Bull's Head, and this history is celebrated in the huge statue of a bull (tarvas) that you can see when entering the city. Apart from the bull, the town is famous for its substantial castle ruins.
It's a pleasant enough town, with a balanced mixture of the old and new. There are plenty of wooden houses built around a modernised centre where giant pixie hats hang over the park from tall, white arches.
Most people don't come to Rakvere for the sights, however, but use it as a base for exploring the surrounding countryside, especially the Lahemaa National Park to the north.
When I visited the whole town was frozen solid, which made it both beautiful and painfully cold. These pictures were gathered with agonized fingers - all exposed flesh rapidly turned into ice.
The wide, expansive town square has been renovated beyond recognition. Once a place to tie up your cows ready for... more travel advice
This particular castle has been around since the 14th century, but there's evidence that it dates back much further than... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Rakvere Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GET TO KNOW RAKVERE"
- "The meat production capitol of Estonia !"
- "Ben-UK's Rakvere page"
- "A nice small town"
- "My home city :)"
- "The Old Bull's Head"
- "Perfect daytrip destination"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rakvere
- Hotels in Rakvere
- Transportation in Rakvere
- Restaurants in Rakvere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rakvere
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Rakvere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rakvere
Photos in RakvereSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 95 reviews, 171 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos