"The Heart and Soul of Estonia" Vetepere by antistar
Vetepere Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 9 photos
Vetepere is far under the tourist radar, but every Estonian knows the place. It is the key to the soul of Estonia: the birthplace of Estonia's Shakespeare, Anton Hansen Tammssaare. Here much of Estonia's national epic, Truth and Justice was set. Every Estonian knows this epic, because the first book in the quintology is taught to every Estonian schoolchild.
The first book is set almost entirely at Vargamae (approximately Thief's Mountain) the birthplace of Tammssare. These wooden farm buildings, so evocative of rural Estonia, are now a protected landmark celebrated on the rear side of the (now defunct) 25 Kroon note, with Tammssare himself appearing on the front.
Just a note to avoid confusion: Vargamae is actually the fictional name that Anton Hansen Tammssaare gave to the farms in his book. But the books are so famous that everyone has forgotten the original name. The farms are actually called Tammssaare. To add to the confusion, the author was originally called Anton Hansen, but took the additional name of Tammssaare from the farms where he was born.
Even more confusingly, sometimes the place is spelled with a W and sometimes with a V, even though the letter W doesn't even exist in Estonian. It's pronounced approximately "vargomeh".
This far into the country, especially if you go to Wargamae, you will find a plague of mosquitoes in summer. The forests... more travel advice
Just off the dusty country road, down a muddy path, on the edge of the forest, you will find Vargamae. These are the... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Vetepere Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Vetepere
- Transportation in Vetepere
- Warnings and Dangers in Vetepere
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vetepere
- 4 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Vetepere?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vetepere
Photos in VetepereSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos