"Germany's Biggest Island" Rügen by antistar
Rügen Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 367 photos
Ruegen is a flat, remote island that juts out into the Baltic sea, with as much in common, at least geographically, with nearby Sweden and Denmark, as Germany. The island is very picturesque, with a landscape dotted with dark forests, wild brush, pristine lakes, windswept sandy beaches, and dramatic white cliffs. Its size, position and remoteness reminded me of my holidays as a young boy to Anglesey on the north west tip of Wales. In many ways it is very much like that region of Wales, with the beauty of the countryside juxtaposed with the ugliness of the regional centers, like Bergen. It also had a collection of seaside resorts that could have been Rhyll or Llandudno with a German accent. The place, like North Wales, is popular almost exclusively with the local Germans.
I only went on a day trip, so didn't get to see the full extent of the island, only the resorts of Binz and Sellin. The island has much more to offer, including the smaller islands of Vilm, once popular with GDR presidents, and Hiddensee, an even more remote landscape where cars are forbidden. In addition there is the lighthouse on the tip of Ankona, and the historical steam railway of the Rasender Roland (Racing Roland) that runs from its base in Putbus all the way to the eastern tip of the island in the resort of Goehren. Being so remote the transport situation on the island isn't all that great, so if you want to see the most of it you'd be best off bringing a car or renting one locally. You can get to most places by bus or train, but you may find yourself making lots of changes and being forced to wait long times in cold stations.
Apart from being a tourist attraction in itself, the Rasender Roland also covers a large section of the eastern half of... more travel advice
The authentic and historic narrow gauge railway of the Rasender Roland (Racing Roland) is a must see for any steam... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Rügen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Most Northern of Germany - Isle of Rügen"
- "Rügen - Beaches and more"
- "Beautiful Rügen"
- "Isle of Rügen"
- "Rügen & Usedom"
- "Germany's Biggest Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rügen
- Hotels in Rügen
- Transportation in Rügen
- Restaurants in Rügen
- Shopping in Rügen
- Warnings and Dangers in Rügen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rügen
- 6 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Rügen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rügen
Photos in RügenSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos