"Saarbrucken" Top 5 Page for this destination Saarbrücken by antistar
Saarbrücken Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 182 photos
Saarland 0 Norway 0
On November 8th, 1953, the short lived country of Saarland saw the first World Cup qualifying game played in its capital, Saarbrucken. The following year it would play its last, losing 3-1 to West Germany. Its brief status as a European country has now long been forgotten, as has its return to the German fold, now known as the kleine Wiedervereinigung (little reunification).
The Smallest State
Saarbrucken is now the capital of one of Germany's smallest, and often overlooked, states. It would be the smallest if it wasn't for the existence of the city states of Hamburg, Berlin and Bremen. With its lack of stature, and being famed only for its industrial heritage, the state and the capital are far under most tourists' radar.
But it's a nice enough city. It has its rough edges, but it has some pleasant streets to wander, and a few sights worth seeing, and the city is small enough to make them all easily accessible in a short day trip. I wouldn't recommend making a special trip just to see the city, but if you are in the region then it's worth a visit.
It also has an interesting history, having changed hands so many times, not only recently, but since Roman times when it formed part of their region of Belgica. France has repeatedly tried to stake a claim, and the French influences in the city are clear, but in the end the people feel German and voted German each time they were presented with an opportunity to join France or even be independent.
A few minutes out of town is the magnificent rusting hulk of a disused ironworks, now a UNESCO protected site. The heart... more travel advice
Also in the neo-Gothic style is the Johanneskirche opposite the town hall. Completed at the end of the 19th century, its... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Saarbrücken Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera in Saarbrücken"
- "The bridges over the Saar"
- "Bonio goes to Saarbrücken"
- "What to expect???"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saarbrücken
- Hotels in Saarbrücken
- Transportation in Saarbrücken
- Nightlife in Saarbrücken
- Restaurants in Saarbrücken
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saarbrücken
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Saarbrücken?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saarbrücken
Photos in SaarbrückenSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos