"Capital of Carinthia" Klagenfurt by antistar
Klagenfurt Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 464 photos
The ancient duchy of Carinthia is now split in two, and has been since the Second World War, with the northern half in Austria, and the southern half in Slovenia. Klagenfurt was the capital of this region, and remains an important Austrian city. It was also the crossroads at which the Slavic, Germanic and Roman cultures, and so has plenty of history.
The links with nearby Slovenia, and its lost other half, are strong, like the Lindwurm, which is the dragon emblem of the town. Dragons abound in Slovenia, and the old Lindwurm, before its more modern transformations, was nearly identical to the dragon emblem of Ljubljana. Legend has it that the Lindwurm stalked the swamps that Klagenfurt was founded on, and only after its death was the city built.
Klagenfurt today is a clean, busy, modern town, much restored after the damage caused by World War 2. It is pleasantly situated near Lake Wörther, in the shadow of nearby Alpine mountains. It is only small, with a population of just under 100,000 people, and hasn't a great deal of sights to see, but can make a pleasant stop-over if you are coming from London by air.
Things I Loved
Seeing the mountains at the end of streets and between the buildings.
The town itself - it wasn't all that exciting.
Klagenfurt is a pleasant enough town to walk around, and the Alter Platz is a good place to start. Walk to the end of... more travel advice
Ryan Air runs daily flights from London to Klagenfurt's idyllic airport, which is dominated by its position at the base... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Klagenfurt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My short trip"
- "Klagenfurt in winter"
- "A CITY AND ITS DRAGON!"
- "Lake Worthersee, Paradise on Earth"
- "Go there before everyone knows about it...."
- "Capital of Carinthia"
- "sightseeing, walking, swimming and sunbading."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Klagenfurt
- Hotels in Klagenfurt
- Transportation in Klagenfurt
- Nightlife in Klagenfurt
- Restaurants in Klagenfurt
- Shopping in Klagenfurt
- Warnings and Dangers in Klagenfurt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Klagenfurt
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Klagenfurt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Klagenfurt
Photos in KlagenfurtSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 85 reviews, 154 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos
- Valletta Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stuttgart Intro, 45 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Klagenfurt hotel reviews
- Seehotel Hafnersee
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2012
- Liebetegger Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2013
- JGH Klagenfurt
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Lindner Seepark Hotel - Congress & Spa
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Pension Zlami
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Arcotel Moser Verdino
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Geyer Hotel Klagenfurt
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 11, 2013