"An English Castle in Wales" Conwy by antistar
Conwy Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 592 photos
Conwy is colonialism. It was an English settlement planted deep in North Wales. The English built thick, high walls to keep out the marauding Welsh. But just as much as it was built for protection, it was built for intimidation. The Welsh had no siege engines capable of bringing down the walls: they were built to show the Welsh that they had no hope of ever winning against the English, to show them that they should give up their struggle.
Today the Welsh are free to walk the streets, and in fact you'll hear more Welsh words spoken here than in nearby Llandudno. But the historical divide lingers on: the coastal towns are filled with English, and the valleys are filled with Welsh. Only as you get close to the last bastion of Welsh speakers, the Druidic isle of Anglesey, do the Welsh speakers dominate outside of the hills.
Conwy is a stunningly preserved castle, mostly because it didn't see any action - it wasn't a castle built for war. But it's not just the stern beauty of the castle that makes Conwy special: it's the location. Built upon the briny waters of the Conwy estuary, and backed by the dramatic peaks of Snowdonia, the castle and its harbor provide a mythical spectacle for all who approach it.
An easy visit from nearby Llandudno, and only a few hours from cities like Birmingham and London, it's one of the best castles in Europe and shouldn't be overlooked.
It's a bit of a tourist trap, but it does genuinely hold the Guinness Record for being the smallest house in Britain.... more travel advice
The castle protected the small market town of Conwy, and the town obviously has a history as long as the castle itself.... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Conwy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Conwy - North Wales"
- "A Spectacular Town"
- "Another Town, Another Castle"
- "Magical Conwy"
- "a fine walled city"
- "Enchanting Conwy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Conwy
- Hotels in Conwy
- Transportation in Conwy
- Nightlife in Conwy
- Restaurants in Conwy
- Shopping in Conwy
- Warnings and Dangers in Conwy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Conwy
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Conwy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Conwy
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos