"A Fine Port" Top 5 Page for this destination Porto by antistar
Porto Travel Guide: 1,048 reviews and 2,787 photos
The picture above was the very last one that I took, from the south bank of the river Douro facing back across central Porto. It sums up pretty much everything that was striking for me about Porto. The tumbling, fading, flaky, multicoloured, red-roofed, balconied turn of the century buildings clambering up the hill from the Douro below. Everywhere in the city I walked I was constantly looking up at the buildings as they stretched up above me with billowing clothes hanging from cast iron balconies.
There's a big English connection in Porto, which can be felt in the architecture and in the legacy the British Port companies have left in the city. You can stand at one point on the banks of the Douro and look across to the south and see a very Latin scene, with warm languid air shimmering over warehouses that look like they have been transported from the docks of London, emblazoned with very English names like Offley, Croft and Taylor. The English connection can be felt elsewhere in the city, especially in the neo-classical architecture that abounds.
Porto is a relaxed friendly place where the locals seemed very welcoming to visitors. The pace is a lot slower than Lisbon and many cities of similar size in Europe, and the temperature is a fair bit cooler. It feels very provincial and a lot smaller than its million or so metropolitan population suggests. Unlike Lisbon it doesn't have a whole lot of things to do, and only one art gallery of note, but it does have the river Douro, great architecture, and great views. The Douro itself is unmissable, either as a train journey, a short boat trip to view the outstanding bridges, or a longer trek up the waters to the fantastic countryside in the hinterland.
Porto has some wonderful narrow old back streets around the medieval heart of the city down towards the river. Some of... more travel advice
The trams are as much of a must see as a transport option. In truth, with only two lines, they aren't a great deal of... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Porto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Spring and Port Wine!"
- "A Fine Port"
- "Place where people work!"
- "a colorful city on the river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porto
- Hotels in Porto
- Transportation in Porto
- Nightlife in Porto
- Restaurants in Porto
- Shopping in Porto
- Warnings and Dangers in Porto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porto
- 32 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Porto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto
Photos in PortoSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 173 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 59 reviews, 147 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos