"Stuttgart: Horses and Horsepower" Top 5 Page for this destination Stuttgart by antistar

Stuttgart Travel Guide: 615 reviews and 1,604 photos

Stuttgart was a city I'd wanted to return to for many years. It was the first place outside my own country that I had ever set foot, but I'd not spent more than a moment in the place before I was whisked off to Tubingen, to visit my sister who was studying at the university there. It had been my first trip abroad, at the age of 16, and I was amazed by how different everything was. My memories were of sausage stalls, officious officials and, for Stuttgart, the Mercedes Benz symbols that seemed to be everywhere. As with all first memories of goggle eyed travel to foreign climes, the emotion of strangeness was retained, even if the memories faded.

Stuttgart is the home of both Mercedes Benz and Porsche, and is something of the Detroit of Southern Germany, except with being home to these two grand marques, it is one of the richest cities in Europe, rather than one of the poorest. The town is synonymous with cars, and even the city's emblem, a black stallion on a yellow background hinting to its earlier incarnation as a stud farm, is almost identical to that other world famous car manufacturer, Ferrari. As I'd already sampled the sausage, this time I was going to treat myself to the sights of two of Europe's finest motor museums, at the factories of Mercedes Benz and Porsche.

It's little surprise, then, that the highlight of my trip to Stuttgart was the Mercedes museum. That's not to say Stuttgart didn't have anything else to offer; far from it. The city centre itself is a delight to wander around, and retains much of its character despite the heavy bombing it received during the last great war. It also has a number of great attractions on the outskirts of the city, like the Fernsehturm (TV Tower) and the palace of Schloss Solitude. There's so much to see and do around the city, and it is such an important part of the German landscape, that it has to be considered one of the top destinations for anyone visiting Germany.

• Last visit to Stuttgart: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2013

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Great page, very helpful. I've been to Stutgartt briefly a long time ago and only remembr a big park with open air concerts and the fact that it was a pleasant place. Will go briefly agani this summer and will make use of your helpful tips. Thanks, Irene

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I've come back a second time as I am now shortlisting my next itinerary. I had a closer look this time and your info was very down to earth and helpful. thanks Tim

• Jan 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM

This tip describes the old Porsche museum, which is no longer available to the public.

• Jun 20, 2008 at 12:46 AM

DrZetscheCEO ML320CDI2007unfit! TooMuchGlareInMirrors from the cockpit. unsafe doors _pointed corners top / bottom. I don't see how you can offer a product with that many design proplems gez. Dr. Hans Pfeuffer, roswell,nm ,usa snah0000@Gmail.com

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Nice page and tips!! :) greetingz

• racheljapi's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2005 at 12:00 AM

interesting

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 8:00 PM

An excellent page - very well-written.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2005 at 8:33 AM

Super page. I had a really good time in Stuttgart. I especially enjoyed the art gallery and Landesmuseum.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 8:17 AM

Great page - informative, interesting and helpful. Visiting Stt next week, so I've already made my custom travel guide with most of your tips. Thanks.

• Jan 23, 2005 at 1:42 PM

thanks for all your great tips. this is such a complete guide. will be back here next month and looking forward to seeing more than just the lovely market hall ;)

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Stuttgart

Have you been to Stuttgart?

Latest Activity in Stuttgart