"Stuttgart: Horses and Horsepower" Top 5 Page for this destination Stuttgart by antistar
Stuttgart Travel Guide: 614 reviews and 1,594 photos
Stuttgart was a city I'd wanted to return to for many years. It was the first place outside my own country that I had ever set foot, but I'd not spent more than a moment in the place before I was whisked off to Tubingen, to visit my sister who was studying at the university there. It had been my first trip abroad, at the age of 16, and I was amazed by how different everything was. My memories were of sausage stalls, officious officials and, for Stuttgart, the Mercedes Benz symbols that seemed to be everywhere. As with all first memories of goggle eyed travel to foreign climes, the emotion of strangeness was retained, even if the memories faded.
Stuttgart is the home of both Mercedes Benz and Porsche, and is something of the Detroit of Southern Germany, except with being home to these two grand marques, it is one of the richest cities in Europe, rather than one of the poorest. The town is synonymous with cars, and even the city's emblem, a black stallion on a yellow background hinting to its earlier incarnation as a stud farm, is almost identical to that other world famous car manufacturer, Ferrari. As I'd already sampled the sausage, this time I was going to treat myself to the sights of two of Europe's finest motor museums, at the factories of Mercedes Benz and Porsche.
It's little surprise, then, that the highlight of my trip to Stuttgart was the Mercedes museum. That's not to say Stuttgart didn't have anything else to offer; far from it. The city centre itself is a delight to wander around, and retains much of its character despite the heavy bombing it received during the last great war. It also has a number of great attractions on the outskirts of the city, like the Fernsehturm (TV Tower) and the palace of Schloss Solitude. There's so much to see and do around the city, and it is such an important part of the German landscape, that it has to be considered one of the top destinations for anyone visiting Germany.
While it isn't a problem around Konigstrasse, where pedestrians are so numerous they get right of way whether they are... more travel advice
On the far flung reaches of Stuttgart's outer suburbs is the old imperial city of Esslingen. Once a proud medieval city,... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Stuttgart Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stuttgart: Horses and Horsepower"
- "Opera and Protest in Stuttgart"
- "Sweet home"
- "Our New Home GERMANY"
- "Between Woods and Vineyards"
- "Stuttgart Capital of the Swabians"
- "suubi's German Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stuttgart
- Hotels in Stuttgart
- Transportation in Stuttgart
- Nightlife in Stuttgart
- Restaurants in Stuttgart
- Shopping in Stuttgart
- Warnings and Dangers in Stuttgart
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stuttgart
- 45 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Stuttgart?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stuttgart
Photos in StuttgartSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos