"Trier" Top 5 Page for this destination Trier by antistar
Trier Travel Guide: 582 reviews and 1,460 photos
Trier is easily one of the highlights of any trip to Germany, and so it's no surprise that it pulls in the tourist hoards. Formed as Augusta Treverorum by the Romans after the Gaul campaign sent the once friendly Treveri tribe across the Mosel to their Germanic brothers. It became a bulwark of the Roman empire, a city at the edge facing out to the barbarian tribes that would one day become the empire's downfall.
The Romans left a hefty footprint. The small town has a highly concentrated collection of Roman ruins, some of which are incredibly well preserved, including one of the enormous main gates, the amphitheatre, and the impressive underground complex of the old baths. In addition, the prestige that came with being such an important Roman city meant that it retained much of that prestige throughout the centuries. That legacy has left a host of fantastic buildings and landmarks, all rich in history.
Oh, and it's also the birthplace of Karl Marx.
Not bad for a city that isn't even a hundred thousand people.
It might be less than a hundred thousand people, but the tourist crowds seem to almost double that figure. It seems largely made up of day trippers. The city is right on the border with France, Luxembourg and Belgium and the Netherlands are close by too. This makes it an attractive place for people to visit, and adds to the throngs. It also means that there are plenty of places nearby to visit. Considering that Trier is so small you can manage to see everything in a day, it's worthwhile making Trier your base for trips down the Mosel, cross border visits to Luxembourg or France, and exploring the industrial heritage of neighbouring Saarland.
Built in 1230 this is one of the oldest, and most colourful, buildings in Trier. Its facade is a bright mediterranean... more travel advice
There are a number of old treadmill cranes along the Moselle riverbanks. Between the Romerbrucke and Kaiser-Wilhelm... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Trier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Tribute to Trier"
- "Trier: Where the Romans left their traces"
- "Older than Rome !"
- "worth a visit"
- "The oldest city of Germany!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trier
- Hotels in Trier
- Transportation in Trier
- Nightlife in Trier
- Restaurants in Trier
- Shopping in Trier
- Warnings and Dangers in Trier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trier
- 21 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Trier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trier
Photos in TrierSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos