"Medieval Academia" Top 5 Page for this destination Tübingen by antistar
Tübingen Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 240 photos
This was the first place I ever visited abroad, as a fresh faced 16 year old, just after I'd finished with school for my adult life, at least until I returned to college to continue it. I was visiting my sister who was studying in Tubingen, during a year out from her German degree at Leeds Univerisity. Tubingen is a university town in the vein of Oxford or Cambridge, where the students and the university dominate the town and its history.
Tubingen is more than just a university town, though, and is a fantastic example of medieval architecture preserved from the relentless bombings of the allies during World War 2. There may be few outstanding examples to pick out for a tourist guide, but there is so much of it that the town simply exudes history from its winding narrow streets, beneath the impossibly tall multicoloured gabled buildings. It rates alongside Bruges for medieval intactness, and is similarly relaxed and built for walking.
The highlights include the Stiftkirche St. Georg in the Marktplatz, which stands out in the views from all over the town, and the Rathaus with its outstanding ornate fresco. My favourite part of the entire visit to the town, however, was the walk along the Platanenallee, the man made island in the Neckar between the Eienbanhnbrücke and Eberhardsbrücke, which on a late autumn day was thick with huge bronze and gold leaves falling from the trees, and kicking up in the breeze. The impossibly tall buildings of the town to the north reflect dreamily in the Neckar, and provide endless photographic opportunities.
My first visit to Tubingen was so long ago that I barely remember any of it, and I was surprised to find little that... more travel advice
North of the Rathaus, on Kornhausstrasse, is one of Tubingen's oldest and most impressive buildings: the Kornhaus. This... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Tübingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval Academia"
- "Tübingen - colorful despite the rain"
- "Studying Abroad"
- "A Sunny Day in Tubingen"
- "One of the highlights in Baden-Württemberg"
- "A lively small town with a lot of young ppl"
- "Beautiful university town close to Stuttgart"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tübingen
- Hotels in Tübingen
- Transportation in Tübingen
- Restaurants in Tübingen
- Shopping in Tübingen
- Warnings and Dangers in Tübingen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tübingen
- 21 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Tübingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tübingen
- Posted in Travel Romania Forum "Re: planing 9 day trip with 1..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Impossibly Tall Gabled Medieval Buildings"
- updated a Tübingen Travel Page "Medieval Academia"
- Commented on one of Callavetta's Tübingen travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tourist Information Office:... in Tübingen Hotels
Photos in TübingenSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 95 reviews, 171 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos