"Medieval Academia" Top 5 Page for this destination Tübingen by antistar

Tübingen Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 240 photos

This was the first place I ever visited abroad, as a fresh faced 16 year old, just after I'd finished with school for my adult life, at least until I returned to college to continue it. I was visiting my sister who was studying in Tubingen, during a year out from her German degree at Leeds Univerisity. Tubingen is a university town in the vein of Oxford or Cambridge, where the students and the university dominate the town and its history.

Tubingen is more than just a university town, though, and is a fantastic example of medieval architecture preserved from the relentless bombings of the allies during World War 2. There may be few outstanding examples to pick out for a tourist guide, but there is so much of it that the town simply exudes history from its winding narrow streets, beneath the impossibly tall multicoloured gabled buildings. It rates alongside Bruges for medieval intactness, and is similarly relaxed and built for walking.

The highlights include the Stiftkirche St. Georg in the Marktplatz, which stands out in the views from all over the town, and the Rathaus with its outstanding ornate fresco. My favourite part of the entire visit to the town, however, was the walk along the Platanenallee, the man made island in the Neckar between the Eienbanhnbrücke and Eberhardsbrücke, which on a late autumn day was thick with huge bronze and gold leaves falling from the trees, and kicking up in the breeze. The impossibly tall buildings of the town to the north reflect dreamily in the Neckar, and provide endless photographic opportunities.

• Last visit to Tübingen: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 1, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 11:24 AM

I enjoyed reading your Tübingen tips, especially the ones on the Cotta House and the Hölderlin Tower. (I have recently completed a VT page called "Hölderlin in Bad Homburg" at "Hölderlin in Bad Homburg" - Bad Homburg vor der Höhe by Nemorino.)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 11:48 AM

What a fabulous page, Tim! We will be visiting Tübingen for the first time this coming Saturday and are very much looking forward to it! Hey, how about it? Do you feel like coming to the Frankfurt VT meeting on August 26?

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2005 at 3:40 AM

so many wonderful views. It's pity I haven't been here while I stayed in Stuttgart

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 1:19 PM

Tim, You'll laugh if you look at the photo on my Tuebingen page. I'll be there week after next to visit my daughter.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 11:59 PM

Beautiful page of this beautiful old city!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 10:26 PM

What a beautiful city!

• Nov 6, 2004 at 11:59 AM

Congratulations Tim! Excellent Tuebingen page! Helpful and accurate information combined with beautiful photos!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 2:14 PM

Super tour through this very charming town! I was only here a few hours and would love to come back someday to linger awhile.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 5:43 AM

Great and very informative page,Tübingen looks beautiful,I just returned few days ago from a few places in Germany and I liked very much!

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Tübingen

Have you been to Tübingen?

Latest Activity in Tübingen