"Venetian Value" Top 5 Page for this destination Mestre by antistar
Mestre Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 149 photos
Mestre has long profited from its close proximity to Venice. In the Middle Ages it acted as a gateway to the mainland for Venetian merchants. Today it acts as a gateway to Venice for thousands of tourists looking for better value than the overpriced, overcrowded islands of Venice.
The first time I visited Venice, back in 2006, I passed through Mestre on the train, and it didn't look like much. I was glad I'd decided to stay on the island of Lido instead. But this time I took a chance, and it paid off. Mestre proved a pleasant, if bland, alternative to Lido, which isn't that exciting itself, despite the "Venetian" island claim.
It's less than ten minutes from Mestre to Venice, across the Ponte della Libertà that stretches out into the lagoon. You can travel by bus or train for about a euro, which is nothing compared to the money you'll save on hotels and food. But it's not just savings you'll enjoy - you'll be free of the throngs of tourists and the people who prey on them. Plus you plenty of opportunities to eat great local food, prepared by locals for locals.
Sorry, I haven't got any pictures. It's not really a photogenic place. Not ugly, just... well it's a place people live!
Mestre has an excellent bus system, and a modern ticketing system that is very intelligent (except it malfunctions when... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Mestre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mestre 2013: Working Class Town Close To Venice"
- "Much more than expected!"
- "Mestre, la terraferma Veneziana"
- "Mestre close to Venice"
- "Venetian Value"
- "Gateway to Venice Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mestre
- Hotels in Mestre
- Transportation in Mestre
- Restaurants in Mestre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mestre
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Mestre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mestre
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 166 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos