"Pretty fishing village on the coast of La Manche." Carteret by antistar

Carteret Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos

Story

"Carteret was pleasant, filled with tourists, and everyone of them French. We gave our last bottle of cheap wine to the camp site owner, hoping that she understood that we wanted it placed in the refrigerator for later. It was late August, but it was the middle of a heat wave. Ioan's pure white legs were starting to sizzle, and were to turn a shade of brick red before the end of the journey, but he didn't care. That evening when we returned to collect the wine, the woman smiled and made gestures as if to suggest that she'd drunk it. We heard her express that the "vin" was "tres bon", and we figured that she must have thought it was a gift. We shuffled off, slightly embarrassed, and bought ourselves a slab of cheap beer to take its place." - from my travelogue.

About

Carteret is a small fishing village on the west coast of Normandy. It has wonderful beaches, and fantastic hills that stretch along the shoreline and afford great views across the countryside and out to sea. The village is joined at the hip with nearby Barneville, and they officially merged in 1965. The municipality of around two and a half thousand people is now refered to as Barneville-Carteret. The place hasn't got a lot of attractions, other than the beaches and sea, but it is quite popular with French people escaping the cities in August. When I visited there wasn't an English voice to be heard in the whole place, which makes a nice change for anywhere on the north coast of France.

Things I Loved

The views over the beaches.

Disappointments

That burger bar that sold me a bloody burger.

• Last visit to Carteret: Aug 1995
  • Intro Updated Mar 20, 2006

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2006 at 5:40 PM

Bloody burgers, sunburnt, pinched wine and collapsed tent - oh well, you can't go far wrong on the seashore! I had a good laugh from this page. Nice 'yogic' trance too, exactly how much was the bet I now collect?

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Carteret

Have you been to Carteret?