"Pretty fishing village on the coast of La Manche." Carteret by antistar
Carteret Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos
"Carteret was pleasant, filled with tourists, and everyone of them French. We gave our last bottle of cheap wine to the camp site owner, hoping that she understood that we wanted it placed in the refrigerator for later. It was late August, but it was the middle of a heat wave. Ioan's pure white legs were starting to sizzle, and were to turn a shade of brick red before the end of the journey, but he didn't care. That evening when we returned to collect the wine, the woman smiled and made gestures as if to suggest that she'd drunk it. We heard her express that the "vin" was "tres bon", and we figured that she must have thought it was a gift. We shuffled off, slightly embarrassed, and bought ourselves a slab of cheap beer to take its place." - from my travelogue.
Carteret is a small fishing village on the west coast of Normandy. It has wonderful beaches, and fantastic hills that stretch along the shoreline and afford great views across the countryside and out to sea. The village is joined at the hip with nearby Barneville, and they officially merged in 1965. The municipality of around two and a half thousand people is now refered to as Barneville-Carteret. The place hasn't got a lot of attractions, other than the beaches and sea, but it is quite popular with French people escaping the cities in August. When I visited there wasn't an English voice to be heard in the whole place, which makes a nice change for anywhere on the north coast of France.
Things I Loved
The views over the beaches.
That burger bar that sold me a bloody burger.
...so I will throw in this picture of me appearing to sitting in a yogic trance on the sea wall in Carteret. I think I... more travel advice
There are lots of nice walking opportunities around the village, especially up into the coastal hills that overlook the... more travel advice
Written Mar 7, 2005
Around Cateret (Photos)
Written Mar 7, 2005
Around Cateret (More Photos)
antistar's Related Pages
Carteret Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pretty fishing village on the coast of La Manche."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carteret
- Hotels in Carteret
- Transportation in Carteret
- Nightlife in Carteret
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carteret
- 9 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Carteret?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carteret
Photos in CarteretSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos