"Tweebaden" Top 5 Page for this destination Wiesbaden by antistar
Wiesbaden Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 482 photos
Wiesbaden is a very pleasant town, and pleasing to the eye, but it has a slightly artificial feel to it that robs it of some of its splendour. Part of the reason for this is that it is the capital of Hessen, but more in an administrative sense. The real capital is in Frankfurt. This makes Wiesbaden feel a bit like Canberra.
Another reason is that the city belongs to the bankers and businessmen of Frankfurt, and with the cost of living pricing out ordinary Germans the town has quite a staid and stiff atmosphere. I could be being unfair, but the town felt like the home of a large wealthy and transient community that had little investment in the city other than in creating a clean, safe and pretty home to live in while they do their business.
The town is undeniably pretty, though, thanks largely to avoiding the ravages of World War 2 bombers. The people are pretty as well, and drive around in pretty cars down three lane boulevards. There are grand parks, and grand buildings, with plenty of grand shops to spend your money in. Some of the architecture is amazing, and there are a lot of beautiful houses that reminded me a lot of my home town of Leamington Spa. My favourite building in the whole town was the Marktkirche, if only for its colour: a deep brick red that looked almost orange in the light of the setting sun.
Wiesbaden itself is quite a unique city in Germany, and is only 40km away from Frankfurt, and right opposite Mainz on the banks of the river Rhein, so it is probably worth an afternoon of your time if you are in the area. It's safe, pristine streets are pleasant to wander around, and maybe just what you need as respite from the hustle and bustle of Frankfurt. That is why so many of the well to do of that city live here after all.
Being minutes away from continental Europe's busiest transport hub of Frankfurt means Wiesbaden is very well located for... more travel advice
Wiesbaden contains a great deal of wonderful and eclectic buildings, many reminiscent of my own home town of Leamington... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Wiesbaden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Opera and cycling in Wiesbaden"
- "My Wiesbaden"
- "Wiesbaden-The Spa Town"
- "djennewein's new Wiesbaden Page"
- "Welcome to my pages"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wiesbaden
- Hotels in Wiesbaden
- Transportation in Wiesbaden
- Nightlife in Wiesbaden
- Restaurants in Wiesbaden
- Shopping in Wiesbaden
- Warnings and Dangers in Wiesbaden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wiesbaden
- 13 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Wiesbaden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wiesbaden
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 173 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 59 reviews, 147 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos