"This Far and no Further" `Ajlun by antistar
`Ajlun Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 90 photos
Ajlun was to Saladin, what Kerak to the south was to the Crusaders. Between these two castles is where the two sides locked horns, and Ajlun marks the furthest point east that the Crusaders were able to push. It also marked the furthest West that the Mongol empire reached.
Today the castle stands atop the same mountain, in place of the old monastery that is believed to have resided there before it, and underneath the city of Ajlun has sprawled out chaotically into the valley. The city was pretty crazy for its size, feeling more like Amman than a small city. It can also get very cold up in the mountains, and it snowed there shortly after I left.
The castle and the area around is filled with history. In particular the nearby battle of Ain Jalut changed history like few other battles in history. Ain Jalut is where the Mamluks defeated the Mongols: the first time in the history of the Mongol empire that they suffered a decisive defeat.
The Mongols captured and dismantled parts of Aljun castle, before it was recaptured by Saladin.
Also known as Rabadh Castle and Qal'at Al-Rabed, this famous fortress sits on top of a hill just outside the sprawling... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
`Ajlun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The fantastic fortress of Saladin"
- "Ajlun Castle - Qal'at Al Rabad"
- "This Far and no Further"
- "Nice place"
- "Pictures of Aljun"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in `Ajlun
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to `Ajlun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in `Ajlun
Photos in `AjlunSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos