"Kingdom of Heaven" Top 5 Page for this destination Al Karak by antistar
Al Karak Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 124 photos
The Crusader stronghold of Kerak was built in the 12th century and was a pivotal part of the defence of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem. It was the focus of many attacks, including the sieges depicted in the movie Kingdom of Heaven. It was started as a means of controlling the local Bedouin herders, and the trade route to Damascus. It finished with its capture by Saladin, after the Battle of Hattin, depicted in the movie, in 1189.
It's a classic example of a Crusader castle, mixing European, Byzantine and Arab architecture. It juts out magnificently above the small city below, and its location high in the mountains, about a thousand meters above sea level, affords great views of the rolling hills that surround it. Its position on the Kings Highway also makes the journey to it a breathtaking one.
The coin in the picture is big. Bigger than a 2 euro coin, the biggest European coin. The ant is big. About as big as an... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Al Karak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karak Castle: a castle full of mystery"
- "From the Crusader's castle!"
- "Kingdom of Heaven"
- "~Karak Crusaders~"
- "Not just a Crusader castle...."
- "Kerak الكرك"
- "Karak Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Karak
- Hotels in Al Karak
- Transportation in Al Karak
- Restaurants in Al Karak
- Warnings and Dangers in Al Karak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Karak
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Al Karak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Karak
Photos in Al KarakSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 94 reviews, 171 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos