"A Great Alternative to Amman" Top 5 Page for this destination Madaba by antistar
Madaba Travel Guide: 156 reviews and 584 photos
Madaba is a pleasant, relaxed, tolerant and easy-going little town famed for its Byzantine mosaics and being the most Christian town in Jordan. All citizens of Madaba are proud of their Christian heritage, and all are proud of the tolerance between both Christians and Muslims in the city. The centrepiece of this Christian heritage is in the St. George's church with its "Map of Madaba", a map of the Holy Land built of tiny tiles in the floor of the Byzantine church in the 6th century.
The city is the perfect location for exploring the Holy Land, and Jordan as a whole, with many of the great sites of the country within easy reach. Mount Nebo, where Moses is believed to have seen the Holy Land for the first time, is just half an hour's drive away, and not much further is Bethany, where Jesus is believed to have been baptised. All of these places can be accessed either by good value taxis, or sometimes by public transport.
The best thing about Madaba is the Mariam hotel, a home away from home, with good prices, and a great manager. If you want to see Jordan, this is the place to come. I stayed for an entire week, and saw everything I wanted to, other than Wadi Rum. The city is a great place to base yourself, and the Mariam Hotel a great place to stay and recover from your long days of travelling in the country.
The town is small, however, and there isn't more to see here than an afternoon of wandering will give you. It's probably the least interesting place I visited in Jordan, but that's only because the places I saw in Jordan were so amazing. It's definitely worth a side trip if you are heading over to Mount Nebo and the Dead Sea from Amman, even if it is just a whistle stop tour of the important churches.
The amazing attributes of the Dead Sea you must all be aware of, but just in case you've never heard of the place, just... more travel advice
"And Moses went up from the plains of Moab to Mount Nebo, the top of Pisgah, which is opposite Jericho." This is a... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Madaba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madaba and Mount Nebo: a window over the Holy Land"
- "Town of mosaics"
- "An Excellent base to explore Jordan"
- "A Great Alternative to Amman"
- "Madaba, a Friendly Town"
- "Not Just the City of Mosaics"
- "Madaba - مادبا"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madaba
- Hotels in Madaba
- Transportation in Madaba
- Restaurants in Madaba
- Shopping in Madaba
- Warnings and Dangers in Madaba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madaba
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Madaba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madaba
Photos in MadabaSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos