"The Winter Hideout of Lawrence of Arabia" Qasr al Azraq by antistar
Qasr al Azraq Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 48 photos
This was as far along the Iraq highway, and about as close to the Iraqi border as I felt comfortable with. This was Qasr al-Azraq, the desert castle at the Jordanian choke point, with the borders of Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia all close by. It was home to Lawrence of Arabia for one winter during the Great Arab Revolt. It was also a popular tourist destination before 9/11.
Now, according to the curator, Nader, it was practically dead. Fewer people were coming to Jordan now. Since the Iraq war the traffic has petered out to nearly nothing. It was such a shame, as this guy was so proud of, and so knowledgable about, the castle and region, and now his talents were now going to waste, with nobody to listen to him. He was so nervous and enthusiastic when he took me around the castle, he was like a guy on his first date. I was his first visitor in days.
I promised him I'd encourage people to go to Azraq, and Jordan, and tell people not be afraid, because the place is friendlier, safer and freer from terrorism than pretty much anywhere else in the world. So go! Go to Jordan! Go to Azraq! Say hello to Nader the blue eyed Arab!
The castle sits guarding an extremely stragegic point in Jordan. It's close to the borders of Iraq, Syria and Saudi... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Qasr al Azraq Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qasr al-Azraq"
- "The Winter Hideout of Lawrence of Arabia"
- "QASR AL AZRAQ"
- "Qasr al Azraq"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qasr al Azraq
- Hotels in Qasr al Azraq
- Transportation in Qasr al Azraq
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qasr al Azraq
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Qasr al Azraq?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qasr al Azraq
Photos in Qasr al AzraqSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 85 reviews, 154 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- Valletta Intro, 34 reviews, 96 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stuttgart Intro, 45 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vilnius Intro, 41 reviews, 79 photos