"Desert Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Qasr `Amrah by antistar
Qasr `Amrah Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 97 photos
Hazim, the Bedouin and his tea.
Hazim greeted me as I entered Qasr Al Amra, he was a fine guide and a genuine Bedouin. After surprising him with my few hastily learned words of Arabic ("salam alaikoum!"), he insisted I come inside and drink tea with him. And more tea. And more tea. He spoke pretty good English, but he didn't seem to understand "no thanks", "I've had quite enough tea now, thank you", and "I've really got be going or I'll never get back to my hotel before the sun goes down."
His tour of the castle was brief, but fascinating, and I regret now not giving him any money. At the time I was unsure whether I was supposed to pay guides, or whether they were part of the entrance fee, but I later learned that all the guides seem to live off the money they get from showing people around. I guess he was too polite to ask, and I felt uncomfortable offering money. I really wish I'd made the effort now.
If you go there, and see Hazim, give him a couple of dinar from me!
Qasr Al Amra one of the famous desert castles east of Amman. It was built in the 8th century AD, by Umayyad caliph Walid... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Qasr `Amrah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The best Desert Castle"
- "QASR AMRAH"
- "Desert Castle"
- "Unique Umayyad frescoes......"
- "Qasr 'Amrah"
- "Qas'r Amra"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qasr `Amrah
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (68)
Have you been to Qasr `Amrah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qasr `Amrah
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 96 reviews, 173 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melbourne Intro, 65 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 59 reviews, 147 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 123 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos