"Worms: Nibelung and the Nazis" Top 5 Page for this destination Worms by antistar
Worms Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 266 photos
Worms is the home of the Nibelung, the German mythological stories that were appropriated by the Nazis because of the values they saw them contain, such as an "absolute fidelity to the superiors". Worms is therefore unfairly tainted by the Nazi association, and attracts a few unwelcome ideological tourists every year. I'd forgotten about this link until I got off at Worms station, entered the shop, and found myself queuing behind a man and his son, both dressed in the black bomber jacket and blue jeans uniform of the neo-nazis, and sporting skinheads. They smiled and were polite, and could possibly have not been neo-Nazis at all, but the image made me feel uncomfortable about the city. The fact that while wandering around nearby Oppenheim an hour earlier I'd seen a shop dummy in someone's conservatory holding out its hand in a Nazi salute under the German national flag just made me even more uneasy.
As I said, it's unfair to press the Nazi connection, and I should stress that after spending nearly a year in the country this was the first encounter with anyone or anything related to this discredited regime. Worms also has an abundance of history outside of the Nibelung, which in itself is fascinating for its own reasons. The city of Worms has a Roman heritage, it was a medieval economic powerhouse, and in 1521 the Diet of Worms (the old Imperial Parliament) famously declared Luther an outlaw. Worms was also once known as Little Jerusalem, for its large and thriving Jewish population, and the community has long since left the city, the town pays its respects with the well preserved Jewish Quarter.
- Pros:Lots of history and sights in a small area.
- Cons:Little bit scruffy, and a few unwelcome guests.
All around the city I found these wonderful iron bird sculptures. They were dotted around at various sights in the city,... more travel advice
The Rotes Haus was built in 1624 and is the last remaining Renaissance town house in Worms. It's difficult to miss and... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Worms Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Worms, Nibelungs, Roman Empire and transientness.."
- "Worms: Nibelung and the Nazis"
- "Why visit Worms?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Worms
- Hotels in Worms
- Transportation in Worms
- Restaurants in Worms
- Shopping in Worms
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Worms
- 16 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Worms?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Worms
Photos in WormsSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 91 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos
- New York City Intro, 35 reviews, 102 photos