"Worms: Nibelung and the Nazis" Top 5 Page for this destination Worms by antistar

Worms Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 266 photos

Worms is the home of the Nibelung, the German mythological stories that were appropriated by the Nazis because of the values they saw them contain, such as an "absolute fidelity to the superiors". Worms is therefore unfairly tainted by the Nazi association, and attracts a few unwelcome ideological tourists every year. I'd forgotten about this link until I got off at Worms station, entered the shop, and found myself queuing behind a man and his son, both dressed in the black bomber jacket and blue jeans uniform of the neo-nazis, and sporting skinheads. They smiled and were polite, and could possibly have not been neo-Nazis at all, but the image made me feel uncomfortable about the city. The fact that while wandering around nearby Oppenheim an hour earlier I'd seen a shop dummy in someone's conservatory holding out its hand in a Nazi salute under the German national flag just made me even more uneasy.

As I said, it's unfair to press the Nazi connection, and I should stress that after spending nearly a year in the country this was the first encounter with anyone or anything related to this discredited regime. Worms also has an abundance of history outside of the Nibelung, which in itself is fascinating for its own reasons. The city of Worms has a Roman heritage, it was a medieval economic powerhouse, and in 1521 the Diet of Worms (the old Imperial Parliament) famously declared Luther an outlaw. Worms was also once known as Little Jerusalem, for its large and thriving Jewish population, and the community has long since left the city, the town pays its respects with the well preserved Jewish Quarter.

• Pros:Lots of history and sights in a small area.
  • Cons:Little bit scruffy, and a few unwelcome guests.
  • Last visit to Worms: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 23, 2012

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 8:28 PM

The iron bird sculptures you encountered in this city feed on a Diet of Worms. After eating the local parliament, they then proceed to Rathaus and prey on neo-nazi field mice. Thanks for your comments on Ely's bottles; the ones with marbles inside.

• Mar 28, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Great picture of Judengasse. I use to live at 65 Judengasse when I was station in Worms 1/39 inf Hq from 1965 to 1967. Worms is a great place and hope to visit there one day. Turner

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2006 at 10:21 AM

Very interesting Worms page. Thanks for the info. I am going to visit Worms and Mainz soon.

• George_Arba's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 1:51 AM

Great page! Worms has many things to offer to someone who likes historical buildings. The Dom of Worms is magnificent! I know it is one of the famous cathedrals in Germany and I hope I’ll visit it in one of the next days.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 11:26 AM

I'm realy exausted with all those churches, wall's and what have you, though masterly written and photographed..some food would go well with it, I am hungry ^..^

• Dec 3, 2005 at 10:59 AM

Hi Tim, interesting page... but no restaurant tips.... just a Diet of Worms then?? ;-)

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2005 at 4:54 PM

Peculaiarity, those iron birds. I suppose if they're looking for eats, they're in the right place? OK yes, I had to stop by to see what kind of a place is called "Worms". I enjoyed your writing style, esp. intro page and homepage too.

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2005 at 8:02 PM

Very nice page, haven't been to Worms but won't miss it next time!

• Apr 11, 2005 at 3:21 AM

Fantastic architecture style of the town!! TorTurm is fascinating building!!

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Worms