"I Feel Like a Tin of Peas" Top 5 Page for this destination Bingen am Rhein by antistar

Bingen am Rhein Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 284 photos

I was pretty disappointed by Bingen. It felt more like a tourist processing plant than a real town. It was ugly, packed with tourists and hotels, and had a noisy train line cutting straight through the center of the town. The train was particularly horrible, passing through every 15 minutes or so, and drowning out all conversation at the cafes along the Rhein due to its close proximity. Tourists herded themselves like cattle from one uninspiring sight to another, although most seemed to be queuing up to leave on one of the many Rhein boats, which was exactly the reason I was there for.

Bingen is a small town, almost a village, on the banks of the Rhein, at the point where joins with the Nahe. It is directly opposite the much prettier, although still as touristy, Rüdesheim. There are a few sights of interest scattered about, and an absolute abundance of hotels, cafes and restaurants, all customised for the lowest common denominator of the mass tourist trade. I shouldn't be too scornful, as I was certainly one of those tourist masses herding myself onto the boats up the river Rhein.

• Last visit to Bingen am Rhein: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 21, 2012

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 8:21 AM

Wow! Must have changed since I was a kid..we used to have relatives there and visited several times. I thought it was a nice town

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 3:15 PM

I was disappointed by Bingen, too, but more for business reasons. My presentation there went really well, but they didn't buy after all. So I may be prejudiced, but I agree that it's not a very attractive town. (Neither is Rüdesheim by the way.)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 6:31 AM

Bingen is indeed a transit point. Next visit, go upstream from there along the Nahe to Bad Kreuznach or even better Bad Munster and walk atop the Rotenfels.

• sarahjayn's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2005 at 5:08 PM

aw, i loved bingen. maybe it was just the company i was keeping there, though . . . nice page, mister!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 10:21 AM

Good infos and lovely pics about the Rhine-valley !

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 3:08 AM

Why you feel disappointed? You saw so wonderful views!! (villages and fortifications in your travelogues).

antistar

“Treat hosts like your girlfriend, and never tell them how wonderful the last one was.”

Badges & Stats in Bingen am Rhein

Have you been to Bingen am Rhein?

Latest Activity in Bingen am Rhein