"Düsseldorf in the Snow" Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf by antistar
Düsseldorf Travel Guide: 948 reviews and 2,148 photos
I arrived in Düsseldorf at 6.20am and immediately became confused by the map in the station, trying to leave by the main exit by walking out the back. This was my first experience with the haphazardly organised maps of Dusseldorf, more fun was to be had later. Because my hotel had been fully booked the night before my room wasn't ready until 1pm, and I was left to walk around a freezing Düsseldorf, in the dark, having had no sleep on the night train from Stralsund, and with everything closed. To make matters worse a blizzard blew in from the east as day broke, and the first heavy snow of the year fell on the city, and me. I had even managed to lock my camera up in the station, so I couldn't take any pictures. My first impressions of the city were not good, and I was just about ready to cancel all my holiday plans and go home.
Thankfully things got better. The snow made the city beautiful, and I soon forgot my tiredness wandering around snapping photos with my rescued camera. After a few hours sleep and meeting with my friend for drinks in the town I was starting to warm to the city. The next day, when the weather moved on to leave me with a snow covered city under a perfect azure blue winter sky, I was starting to fall in love. Düsselfdorf isn't Germany's greatest city, and I was constantly comparing it (usually in a negative way) to Stuttgart, but it did have a lot of charm, and I particularly loved the modern architecture of the city, and the relaxed affluence of the people. My special favourite place in the whole town was the Media Harbour, a collection of fine architecture on a bend in the river Rhein so wide it could be a sea channel or lake.
Düsseldorf itself is a modern city of about 600,000 people that competes for your attention with nearby cities in the Ruhrgebiet and Rhein area, like Cologne and Bonn. It is often overlooked by tourists, and sometimes dismissed even by Germans, but with a bit of work on its image it could be a fine city. It hasn't got a cathedral like Cologne, palaces like Munich, or a history like Berlin, but the people have given it enough character, wonderful buildings and art to make it a worthy destination on anyone's tour of German cities. If only they could organise the transport system more efficiently, like Stuttgart, develop the Media Harbour into the special place it deserves to be, and improve the city's tourist image, then people would likely come here in their droves.
Hmmm...maybe the city is better as it is...
Düsseldorf's transport system is a vast and somewhat confusing system of trams, busses and underground trains (more like... more travel advice
The transport system in Düsseldorf is generally pretty good once you get used to it, but the old trams were a real... more travel advice
antistar's Related Pages
Düsseldorf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Die längste Theke der Welt and ... My new hometown"
- "Düsseldorf in the Snow"
- "Designer Dusseldorf"
- "Altbier on the Rhine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Düsseldorf
- Hotels in Düsseldorf
- Transportation in Düsseldorf
- Nightlife in Düsseldorf
- Restaurants in Düsseldorf
- Shopping in Düsseldorf
- Warnings and Dangers in Düsseldorf
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Düsseldorf
- 42 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (61)
Have you been to Düsseldorf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Düsseldorf
- Posted in Travel Budapest Forum "Re: Are ruin bars safe? And where..."
- updated a Düsseldorf Travel Page "Düsseldorf in the Snow"
- Commented on one of Mariajoy's Düsseldorf travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Office Spotting"
- Wrote a Review The Cologne Rivalry about Traditions in Düsseldorf Local Customs
Photos in DüsseldorfSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budapest Intro, 171 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Frankfurt am Main Intro, 93 reviews, 164 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 78 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 56 reviews, 141 photos
- Riga Intro, 47 reviews, 136 photos
- London Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Germany Intro, 51 reviews, 124 photos
- Copenhagen Intro, 42 reviews, 111 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 53 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malta Intro, 41 reviews, 109 photos