"Mozambique - A country of proud people" Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique by cleocat
Mozambique Travel Guide: 810 reviews and 2,605 photos
When you live in SA you get use to a beggar at every robot. They don't talk or attempt to talk to you. They just stand there with a little notice around the neck where you can read their sad life saga.
I did't once see this in Mozambique.
They didn't even approached us with their products until we showed interest.
But beware once you showed interest they all over you. Not to worry they are always polite and after a while ( if you seem not to be to interested) they start bargaining.
I bought 6 batiks for the price of four. I'm sure if I tried he would have lowered the price more or added another one or two. As it was already cheap just fo four I decided to take the six. For the amount I would have spent on one or two Christmas gifts I got gifts for all the grannies and sisters-in-law.
Then the weather. I thought we were used to hot weather. Mother-in -law stays in Durban so we go there a lot during December. What can be so different? Suprise!! It is hot. Luckily we love the sun so after a day or so we got used to it.
After more than 10 years of being war-free Maputo is still rundown.
There are new buildings but there are still many old buildings that are not looked after. Another thing that was quite bad was the waste just standing in over-full bins in the street. It didn't look as if anybody planned to take it away. The streets are full of dirt and black bags with waste are half opened on the sidewalks. By the smell you can believe it has been there for quite a while.
Being used to big malls and shopping centres where you can find anything, we approached the newly build Polana centre.
What a disapointment. No Woolworths, no Pick and Pay, no CNA, no cinemas. At least while we were there the brand new Game opened (not at the Polana centre though) So there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I don't think we in SA always realise how privileged we are and we take these things for granted.
What saddened me was the effect a crazy war had on this once beautiful country.
You can still see the beauty. The palm trees along the coastal road.
The beautiful gardens at the Polana hotel. The amazing warm azure- blue water at Portugese Islands.
Walking back from the marina, looking at the beach and coastline we decided with a bit of cleaning up of the beaches, a few more hotels, like the Holiday Inn and more restaurants, like the Sagres this could become a holiday mecca again.
Somebody must just take the initiative.(Somebody with lots of dollars) Their money is worth nothing. They actually prefer dollars and rands to their own money.
Even though we didn't stay at the Polana we went in for a drink and to see what it looks like.
It has that old colonial feeling. Lots of wood, big soft chairs in the bar etc.
I'm sure it must be great to stay there. The service is great. The verandah/ restaurant has a beautiful view of the gardens and the sea.
- Pros:Sun, sea, friendly people, stunning islands
- Cons:Poor country, Maputo is dirty,
- In a nutshell:A place with lots of potential.
On one of our walking excursions a beer became necessary. The Polana was close by. What a beautiful place. The gardens... more travel advice
On the way back to the airport I took this photo. It was raining and it was taken out of the window. It is quite a way... more travel advice
cleocat's Related Pages
Mozambique Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CORRUPT AND DANGEROUS"
- "Mozambique - A country of proud people"
- "2.500 Kms Sea Coast in the Indian Ocean"
- "Mozambique - Portuguese East Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mozambique
- Hotels in Mozambique
- Transportation in Mozambique
- Nightlife in Mozambique
- Restaurants in Mozambique
- Shopping in Mozambique
- Warnings and Dangers in Mozambique
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mozambique
- 21 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Mozambique?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mozambique
- Posted in Travel South Africa Forum "Re: 3 days in Cape Town"
- updated a Mozambique Travel Page "Mozambique - A country of proud people"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mozambique - A country of proud people"
- Commented on one of nora_south_africa's Mozambique travel pages
- Wrote a Review Gardens at the Polana Hotel in Mozambique Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 36 reviews, 53 photos
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hartbeespoort Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Durban Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Namibia Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Johannesburg Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Clarens Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- England Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos