"Mozambique - A country of proud people" Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique by cleocat

Mozambique Travel Guide: 810 reviews and 2,605 photos

When you live in SA you get use to a beggar at every robot. They don't talk or attempt to talk to you. They just stand there with a little notice around the neck where you can read their sad life saga.

I did't once see this in Mozambique.
They didn't even approached us with their products until we showed interest.

But beware once you showed interest they all over you. Not to worry they are always polite and after a while ( if you seem not to be to interested) they start bargaining.

I bought 6 batiks for the price of four. I'm sure if I tried he would have lowered the price more or added another one or two. As it was already cheap just fo four I decided to take the six. For the amount I would have spent on one or two Christmas gifts I got gifts for all the grannies and sisters-in-law.

Then the weather. I thought we were used to hot weather. Mother-in -law stays in Durban so we go there a lot during December. What can be so different? Suprise!! It is hot. Luckily we love the sun so after a day or so we got used to it.

After more than 10 years of being war-free Maputo is still rundown.
There are new buildings but there are still many old buildings that are not looked after. Another thing that was quite bad was the waste just standing in over-full bins in the street. It didn't look as if anybody planned to take it away. The streets are full of dirt and black bags with waste are half opened on the sidewalks. By the smell you can believe it has been there for quite a while.

Being used to big malls and shopping centres where you can find anything, we approached the newly build Polana centre.
What a disapointment. No Woolworths, no Pick and Pay, no CNA, no cinemas. At least while we were there the brand new Game opened (not at the Polana centre though) So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't think we in SA always realise how privileged we are and we take these things for granted.

What saddened me was the effect a crazy war had on this once beautiful country.

You can still see the beauty. The palm trees along the coastal road.
The beautiful gardens at the Polana hotel. The amazing warm azure- blue water at Portugese Islands.

Walking back from the marina, looking at the beach and coastline we decided with a bit of cleaning up of the beaches, a few more hotels, like the Holiday Inn and more restaurants, like the Sagres this could become a holiday mecca again.

Somebody must just take the initiative.(Somebody with lots of dollars) Their money is worth nothing. They actually prefer dollars and rands to their own money.

Even though we didn't stay at the Polana we went in for a drink and to see what it looks like.

It has that old colonial feeling. Lots of wood, big soft chairs in the bar etc.

I'm sure it must be great to stay there. The service is great. The verandah/ restaurant has a beautiful view of the gardens and the sea.

View from the verandah at Polana

• Pros:Sun, sea, friendly people, stunning islands
  • Cons:Poor country, Maputo is dirty,
  • In a nutshell:A place with lots of potential.
  • Last visit to Mozambique: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 5, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Nice page

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Hello, Annette ! Thanks for your nice story....

• pginer's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM

Very good tips! just thinking about going there .... many thanks!

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2008 at 11:17 AM

You've given me this sudden urge to travel to Mozambique and one day I will. Great page, well written with lovely pictures. Happy Birthday from Finland!

• Tasia's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 5:02 AM

What a beautifull sunrise!!!!Can not even emagine that such beauty is real...

• IoannaE's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 5:02 AM

No woolworths and multiplex cinemas? I'm going !! Seriously, I fail to understand why people want to find the exact same things everywhere they travel. Might as well stay at home, no?

• royalempress's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 1:10 PM

Great Travel Pages!!! Thanks for the comment on my Orvieto Page. Mike

• vilip's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 6:53 AM

Your pages are really good! Congratulations for your Mozambique one!

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 4:51 PM

Thanx for the birthday wishes Annette. I really had a good day. Anyway I hope you all well.

• Jul 18, 2006 at 12:26 AM

Hi, I live in Mozambique, 11 kilometers outside the city. My friend who works with street children told me this GORGEOUS home was used during the war for torture so no one will enter it (for example street kids needing a place to sleep) It is stunning!

cleocat

“so many places so little time”

Badges & Stats in Mozambique

Have you been to Mozambique?