"The Jewel of the Free State" Clarens by cleocat
Clarens Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 58 photos
Visiting the Free State is not very high on many tourist's itineraries.
It's very cold in winter and quite hot in summer. Though the summer seems to be shorter than in the other SA provinces. If you ever in the area it is worthwhile making a stop in Clarens. It is named after the Swiss town Clarens.
It is a small town where you will still find some dirt roads in the residential areas. A few years ago a house would have cost you next to nothing but today you are looking at a million plus.
It's a four hour drive from Gauteng and alot of Gautengers bought weekend houses.
The tranquil atmosphere, great restaurants, 4x4 tracks and tons of artist's shops and galleries lure the
- Pros:Scenery; tranquil; art; crafts;
- Cons:It's cold in the winter
- In a nutshell:Clarens stole my heart
It is part of a small complex of art and craft shops. The patio of the restaurant links all the shops. While having your... more travel advice
We decided on this restaurant because the view from the terrace must be one of the best in Clarens. And the weather was... more travel advice
cleocat's Related Pages
Clarens Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Jewel of the Free State"
- "Clarens and Golden Gate National Park"
- "Clarens: Spectacular Freestate!"
- "An oasis of art and craft ~ Clarens"
- "Quiet but lovely"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Clarens
- Hotels in Clarens
- Nightlife in Clarens
- Restaurants in Clarens
- Shopping in Clarens
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clarens
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Clarens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clarens
Top 10 Pages
- Cape Town Intro, 36 reviews, 53 photos
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mozambique Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hartbeespoort Intro, 16 reviews, 18 photos
- Mauritius Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Durban Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Namibia Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Johannesburg Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Clarens Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- England Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos