New Caledonia Warnings Or Dangers Tips by minstrel74 Top 5 Page for this destination
New Caledonia Warnings and Dangers: 4 reviews and 1 photos
Maré Island is home to the friendliest people I have ever met. That being said, while I was there a huge wedding party was taking place in Medu. Consequently, the whole west side of the island was overrun by belligerent drunks. On one occasion, I was warned not to approach a village because political tensions were high and since I was white, someone might want to beat me up. Incidentally, the person who told me this was completely plastered and thrashing a half-empty bottle of rum about. Also, the people I hitched a ride with from the airport when I first arrived were similiarly intoxicated; the man in the front seat nearly gave me a heart attack with his brazen and completely reckless driving. It was total madness.
If you know there will be a wedding party in a village anywhere near where you will be staying, please do take care. The Kanaks are incredibly friendly people, but as is the case anywhere, once alcohol, drugs, and celebration are combined, there could be trouble.
More Reviews (6)
minstrel74's Related Pages
New Caledonia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Caledonia: Mediterranean Melanesia"
- "La Nouvelle Caledonie"
- "a charming island & millions of butterflies"
- "New Caledonia"
- "South Seas Gem with a European Flavor"
- "coming in Dec 2011"
- "Nouvelle Caledonie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Caledonia
- Hotels in New Caledonia
- Transportation in New Caledonia
- Nightlife in New Caledonia
- Restaurants in New Caledonia
- Shopping in New Caledonia
- Warnings and Dangers in New Caledonia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sha Tin
- San Luis Reservoir State Recreation Area Hotels
- Bhandup Hotels
- Tuban Hotels
- Round Valley State Park Hotels
- Kansas City Warnings and Dangers
- Hyderabad Warnings and Dangers
- Lima Warnings and Dangers
- El Salvador Warnings and Dangers
- Cape Verde Warnings and Dangers
- Malta Warnings and Dangers
- Mombasa Warnings and Dangers
- Ghana Warnings and Dangers
- Turkey Warnings and Dangers
- Moscow Warnings and Dangers
- Bad Neighbourhoods
Badges & Stats in New Caledonia
- 17 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to New Caledonia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Caledonia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solomon Islands Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Georgia Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanna Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raiatea Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moorea Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Île des Pins Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vella Lavella Island Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Port-Vila Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Suriname Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue