"Archaeological wonderland in the Leeward Islands" Huahine by minstrel74
Huahine Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 41 photos
Among the handful of islands that I visited in French Polynesia (all within the Society chain), I found Huahine to be the most suitable for exploring on my own, especially given the easy access to some fascinating archaeological sites. Furthermore, Fare is a delightful and picturesque little town and a great place to relax for a couple days. Unfortunately, I was short on time during my visit, so I was not able to explore all parts of the island, but instead focused on visiting the incredible collection of marae located around Maeva, just a few short kilometers east of Fare along the main drag. This alone is worth the visit, and anyone with even a passing interest in Polynesian archaeology will have plenty to see and do for several hours in this area. The trails to the sites themselves offer some decent hiking and biking (as I explain in more depth in my tips) and are easily accessible from the main road.
Accomodation, meals, and transport are all easily arranged in Fare. Despite that, however, the town is still very laid back and the island as a whole doesn't have the same touristy feel that one gets on islands such as Tahiti, Bora Bora, and Moorea. If you have the energy to hike and bike around a bit, you will definitely not regret visiting Huahine.
- Pros:Tons of archaeological sites, relatively quiet, easily explored on foot or by bike
- In a nutshell:Welcoming, relaxed atmosphere and a treasure trove of historical sites
minstrel74's Related Pages
Huahine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jurassic Parc Island"
- "Archaeological wonderland in the Leeward Islands"
- "Happy People with Warm Hearts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huahine
- Hotels in Huahine
- Transportation in Huahine
- Warnings and Dangers in Huahine
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Huahine
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Huahine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huahine
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Solomon Islands Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Georgia Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Caledonia Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanna Intro, 6 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Raiatea Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moorea Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Île des Pins Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vella Lavella Island Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Port-Vila Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Suriname Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue