"Graz: 2003 European Cultural Capital and More" Top 5 Page for this destination Graz by dcwizard

Graz Travel Guide: 562 reviews and 1,463 photos

I must admit that my first visit to Graz happened almost by accident. I was looking for a place to play golf for a long weekend, and Austria was an obvious choice. But I also wanted to golf in a location with an interesting city or sites nearby, since my friend who traveled with me is not a golfer. When researching golf courses I happened upon the website for the city of Graz, and then learned that it was designated the Cultural Capital of Europe for 2003. It became apparent that there were plenty of sites and special cultural events to give us plenty to see and do when I was not on the golf course.

Return Visit

I was so enchanted by Graz during that first visit last June that I decided to go back again last December. I wanted to go back to see the new Kunsthaus that opened in September, and I also discovered that Graz is a wonderful place to enjoy the Advent season before Christmas.

Beyond the Capital of Culture

One of the advertisements for the Graz Cultural Year in Vienna read, "Welcome to Vienna, the nicest suburb of Graz." While I wouldn't go that far in my assessment, I would certainly suggest a visit to Graz during a visit to Austria. While the cultural year is over, some of the additions made for the year, such as the Kunsthaus and the Island in the River Mur should continue to play an important role in the city. And the city itself has enough charms to make for a fun weekend at least.

• Pros:Great Mix of Old and New
  • Cons:What will happen after Graz 2003?
  • In a nutshell:A unique city in Styria
  • Last visit to Graz: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2004

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Good page. I hope to visit Graz one day.

Ciao!

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Thanks for the great pictures and tips! Looks like a fun place.

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 5:12 AM

Great page, with great pictures, that was very helpful on my visit to Graz. BTW, the city is twinned with Coventry in the UK, not the US. I didn't even know there was a Coventry in America ;).

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 7:17 AM

Hi John! Happy Birthday from Finland! Your Graz page is wonderful . Full of information and beautiful photos. looks so different from what I remember from my stay there in early 90's. Schlossberg I remember though. Cheers, Sini

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2005 at 5:22 AM

Great page on Graz, I am looking forward to my trip there in Feb, your tips were very helpful, thanks for sharing!!

• Henkster's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2004 at 11:49 AM

incredible photography here!

• shellybelly567's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2004 at 12:27 PM

I actually didn't have a very good time in Graz...nothing to do with the city really just some extenuating circumstances beyond my control. Your page makes me wish I could go back in a better mood, though.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2004 at 8:19 AM

Very good page. I found Graz to be enchanting and I wish I had stayed there longer.

dcwizard

“The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.”

Badges & Stats in Graz