"The Many Worlds of Vienna" Vienna by dcwizard

Vienna Travel Guide: 7,417 reviews and 18,490 photos

Vienna will always hold a special place for me. I spent a summer semester studying here. My main intention was to use Vienna as a launching point for exploring other parts of Central and Eastern Europe. I was able to do this, but in the process, I discovered whole other worlds, opening my eyes to the art of Brueghel and Kokoshka and Attersee, my ears to the music of Mozart and Mahler (my fav composer!), and most of all my mind to the wonders this city has to offer. I never knew that sitting in a café with a good book could be such a joy until I visited Vienna.

I've returned to Vienna many times since, but I have never failed to find something new, something wonderful every time I set foot here. The Danube fails to make a statement here, despite the Blue Danube and Wiener Blut waltzes. (See Budapest for that!) But there are many faces of Vienna to see, ever changing, especially in the art galleries, museums, opera houses, and music halls. It is for these reasons that I still have to put Vienna at the top of my list of favorite cities.

• Pros:Art, music, culture, cafes
  • Cons:Expensive, a bit cold
  • In a nutshell:Immerse yourself in art and culture
  • Last visit to Vienna: Feb 2004
  • Intro Written Feb 12, 2004

dcwizard

“The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.”

Badges & Stats in Vienna