"Des Moines- A small town in a big city" Des Moines by wanderingbtrfly
Des Moines Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 5 photos
Des Moines is one of the many cities in between Seattle and Tacoma. What makes Des Moines special is its small town atmosphere. It is a quiet, marine town perfect for raising a family. It has 6-7 restaurants, a one-screen theater, a gas station on each end of the main street and a marina that doubles as the main hangout spot for the younger crowd.
There's not much to say about this tiny little place, except that it is one of Seattle's hidden gems. This quaint town within a city should not be missed.
If you find yourself in Des Moines during the last week in July, don't miss the fireworks on the first night of the Waterland Festival!
UPDATE FEB 2005: The Waterland Festival is currently on hold. The city of Des Moines lost the funding for this event; they are considering having a similar festival, but it will most definitely be smaller and very different. I hope that circumstances will change so this small town carnival is not lost forever.
This picture is looking north on the west side of the main street in Downtown Des Moines- Marine View Drive.
The green Des Moines sign in the foreground is our 1 screen theater. The tickets are pretty cheap and it plays first-run movies (two a week- usually one showing of each a day). It has recently been renovated and it is a fun experience if you like vintage theaters.
- Pros:Small, oceanfront town
- Cons:Bored police officers and no night life
- In a nutshell:A peaceful town with easy access to surrounding cities
When driving down Marine View Drive in Des Moines, don't speed!! The speed limit is 30 MPH and is strictly enforced.... more travel advice
UPDATE FEB 2005: The Waterland Festival is currently on hold. The city of Des Moines lost the funding for this event;... more travel advice
wanderingbtrfly's Related Pages
Des Moines Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Des Moines- A small town in a big city"
- "meal_ticket's new Des Moines Page"
- "Des Moines just south of Seattle"
- See All...
- Nightlife in Des Moines
- Restaurants in Des Moines
- Warnings and Dangers in Des Moines
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Des Moines
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Des Moines?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Des Moines
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos
- Venice Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Italy Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Des Moines Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wichita 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Seattle Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Versailles Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Stonehenge Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos