"Kampot" Khett Kampot by mikegr

Khett Kampot Travel Guide: 118 reviews and 282 photos

My Favourite Place In The Kingdom Of Cambodia

The temples of Angkor are spectacular and the beaches in Sihanoukville are very pleasant, but it was Kampot which really won my heart in Cambodia.

I arrived by shared taxi from Phnom Penh and first impressions were not promising - crowded out by over eager moto taxi drivers at the dusty market.

But Kampot is altogether different from the highly touristed other places I visited on this trip. It is a quiet town which is easy to explore, it is also easy to get out of on foot into pretty countryside.

Bokor National Park

The reason most people come to visit Kampot is to visit Bokor National Park - and it is a trip well worth making.

It is only a short distance to the plateau at the summit of the Bokor mountain (you won't believe how close Kampot looks from the top!) but don't let that fool you. The road is in a bad state of repair and unless you have decent suspension (or very fleshy buttocks!) it is a bone jarring journey.

See my tips for more information.

What Makes Kampot Special?

The people here were so open and friendly to me, and it was them who made my stay here so special.

On a number of occasions they surprised me with their openness and kindness. From being offered a lift on a horse and cart when walking along the riverbank, to being invited to stay with a Khmer family and attend a family wedding, I was bowled over by the warmth of these people.

When I think of Cambodia I don't think of Angkor Wat - I think of you.

• Pros:Friendly and open locals and a wonderful National Park on the doorstep
  • Cons:You might want to stay here forever.
  • In a nutshell:The place which will bring me back to Cambodia
  • Last visit to Khett Kampot: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2005

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 9:12 PM

Hi Mike, good Kampot page, it certainly brought back some memories. I didn't manage to get to Bokor myself - maybe next time. fergy.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2005 at 5:02 AM

Too bad I missed this place on my trip to Cambodia...

mikegr

“You gotta make your own kind of music”

Badges & Stats in Khett Kampot

Have you been to Khett Kampot?

Latest Activity in Khett Kampot