"Kampot" Khett Kampot by mikegr
Khett Kampot Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 321 photos
The temples of Angkor are spectacular and the beaches in Sihanoukville are very pleasant, but it was Kampot which really won my heart in Cambodia.
I arrived by shared taxi from Phnom Penh and first impressions were not promising - crowded out by over eager moto taxi drivers at the dusty market.
But Kampot is altogether different from the highly touristed other places I visited on this trip. It is a quiet town which is easy to explore, it is also easy to get out of on foot into pretty countryside.
The reason most people come to visit Kampot is to visit Bokor National Park - and it is a trip well worth making.
It is only a short distance to the plateau at the summit of the Bokor mountain (you won't believe how close Kampot looks from the top!) but don't let that fool you. The road is in a bad state of repair and unless you have decent suspension (or very fleshy buttocks!) it is a bone jarring journey.
See my tips for more information.
The people here were so open and friendly to me, and it was them who made my stay here so special.
On a number of occasions they surprised me with their openness and kindness. From being offered a lift on a horse and cart when walking along the riverbank, to being invited to stay with a Khmer family and attend a family wedding, I was bowled over by the warmth of these people.
When I think of Cambodia I don't think of Angkor Wat - I think of you.
- Pros:Friendly and open locals and a wonderful National Park on the doorstep
- Cons:You might want to stay here forever.
- In a nutshell:The place which will bring me back to Cambodia
This is a wonderful NP which really deserves an over night stop. The highlights in the national park are the deserted... more travel advice
This is a wonderful NP which really deserves an over night stop. At the top you will find the basic, hostel style... more travel advice
mikegr's Related Pages
Khett Kampot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kampot, being still along the coast"
- "Work in progress"
- "eating 'kompot' in kampot"
- "Kampot / Kep:while the rest pile up in Snookville"
- "Tales from the riverbank"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Kampot
- Hotels in Khett Kampot
- Transportation in Khett Kampot
- Nightlife in Khett Kampot
- Restaurants in Khett Kampot
- Shopping in Khett Kampot
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Kampot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khett Kampot
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Khett Kampot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Kampot
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osaka Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 18 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto-fu Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uji Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Nara Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Western Australia Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kurama Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Broome Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Thailand Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos