"Off The Beaten Path In Queensland" Eungella National Park by mikegr

Eungella National Park Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 36 photos

Eungella National Park

My soul purpose in visiting Mackay was to get into the Eungella National Park, largely because I was determined to see a platypus in the wild.

I was delighted to achieve this goal (in fact we saw quite a few - unfortunatley they were just glimpses so i didn't manage any photos), but even if I hadn't it would have been worth visiting this park.

The easiest way to do it (unless you have your own transport) is to stay at the YHA in Mackay where they arrange full day trips for a reasonable price. This will give you the opportunity to see some beautiful countryside, taking in forest, rivers and waterfalls ending at Broken River where you will have a good chance of seeing platypus(pi??).

It is easy to extend your stay in the National Park as there are accommodations there (see my tips). I booked to go on the tour from Mackay on one day, stayed the night in Eungella and then picked up the tour bus the next day. I would definitely recommend doing this.

• Pros:Beautiful countryside and probably the best chance you have of seeing platypus in the wild.
  • Cons:Unless you have your own transport it means staying a couple of nights in Mackay - not so good if you are short of time.
  • In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit, and a night at Platypus Lodge is an unforgettable experience.
  • Last visit to Eungella National Park: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2004

Comments

mikegr

“You gotta make your own kind of music”

Badges & Stats in Eungella National Park

Have you been to Eungella National Park?