"Off The Beaten Path In Queensland" Eungella National Park by mikegr
Eungella National Park Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 36 photos
My soul purpose in visiting Mackay was to get into the Eungella National Park, largely because I was determined to see a platypus in the wild.
I was delighted to achieve this goal (in fact we saw quite a few - unfortunatley they were just glimpses so i didn't manage any photos), but even if I hadn't it would have been worth visiting this park.
The easiest way to do it (unless you have your own transport) is to stay at the YHA in Mackay where they arrange full day trips for a reasonable price. This will give you the opportunity to see some beautiful countryside, taking in forest, rivers and waterfalls ending at Broken River where you will have a good chance of seeing platypus(pi??).
It is easy to extend your stay in the National Park as there are accommodations there (see my tips). I booked to go on the tour from Mackay on one day, stayed the night in Eungella and then picked up the tour bus the next day. I would definitely recommend doing this.
- Pros:Beautiful countryside and probably the best chance you have of seeing platypus in the wild.
- Cons:Unless you have your own transport it means staying a couple of nights in Mackay - not so good if you are short of time.
- In a nutshell:Definitely worth a visit, and a night at Platypus Lodge is an unforgettable experience.
Whilst the rain forest in the Eungella National park is less impressive than the forests further north in Queensland it... more travel advice
mikegr's Related Pages
Eungella National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "'Land of the clouds'"
- "Off The Beaten Path In Queensland"
- "Eungella National Park"
- "Home of the platypus"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eungella National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Eungella National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eungella National Park
Photos in Eungella National ParkSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Osaka Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 18 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto-fu Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uji Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Nara Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Western Australia Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kurama Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Broome Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Thailand Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos