"Kuching" Kuching by mikegr

Kuching Travel Guide: 794 reviews and 2,083 photos

Why go to Kuching?

When I decided to plan my holiday to Malaysia I asked in the Malaysia forum if anyone could suggest a good place to go to spend just one week. I got some interesting suggestions (thank you!), but decided to ignore them in favour of going to Kuching, based on the number of national parks and attractions within a very short distance of the city.

I am delighted I did. Kuching is a beautiful place to visit and ideal if you have only a short amount of time but want to be active and see alot.

Navigating Kuching

Kuching is a fairly big city, but the centre is compact and easy to navigate, with older section to the West and the more modern section (where you will find the larger international hotels) to the East.

I stayed in, and spent most of my time in the older part of the city, which to my mind has far more character.

Navigation is made very simple thanks to the Sungai Sarawk river, which makes a natural border for the North of the city centre.

The waterfront has been pedestrianised and is lined with stalls, places to eat and drink and places to sit so you can just watch the world go by. Just wandering around here was one of my favourite things to do in Kuching. The people here were unbelievably friendly and often stopped for a chat (possibly taking pity on me as a solo traveller?). The city has a warmth which is lacking in many of the other places I have visited.

I was surprised here by the number of young people compared to old. It gave Kuching a very youthful and lively feel.

• Last visit to Kuching: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 2, 2005

mikegr

“You gotta make your own kind of music”

Badges & Stats in Kuching

Have you been to Kuching?

Latest Activity in Kuching