"Kuching" Kuching by mikegr
Kuching Travel Guide: 787 reviews and 2,074 photos
When I decided to plan my holiday to Malaysia I asked in the Malaysia forum if anyone could suggest a good place to go to spend just one week. I got some interesting suggestions (thank you!), but decided to ignore them in favour of going to Kuching, based on the number of national parks and attractions within a very short distance of the city.
I am delighted I did. Kuching is a beautiful place to visit and ideal if you have only a short amount of time but want to be active and see alot.
Kuching is a fairly big city, but the centre is compact and easy to navigate, with older section to the West and the more modern section (where you will find the larger international hotels) to the East.
I stayed in, and spent most of my time in the older part of the city, which to my mind has far more character.
Navigation is made very simple thanks to the Sungai Sarawk river, which makes a natural border for the North of the city centre.
The waterfront has been pedestrianised and is lined with stalls, places to eat and drink and places to sit so you can just watch the world go by. Just wandering around here was one of my favourite things to do in Kuching. The people here were unbelievably friendly and often stopped for a chat (possibly taking pity on me as a solo traveller?). The city has a warmth which is lacking in many of the other places I have visited.
I was surprised here by the number of young people compared to old. It gave Kuching a very youthful and lively feel.
The cheapest accomodation in Kuching has rooms with twin beds and dorm rooms with two bunk beds. It has shared (single... more travel advice
The best chance of seeing orang-utans in their natural habitat around Kuching. These beautiful animals were previously... more travel advice
mikegr's Related Pages
Kuching Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cat City"
- "The Liveable, Green Cat City Welcomes you Back"
- "A Quick Two Day Stay In Beautiful Kuching"
- "Kuching - City of Cats"
- "KUCHING WATERFRONT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuching
- Hotels in Kuching
- Transportation in Kuching
- Nightlife in Kuching
- Restaurants in Kuching
- Shopping in Kuching
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuching
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuching
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Kuching?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuching
Photos in KuchingSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Osaka Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Córdoba Intro, 18 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto-fu Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uji Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Nara Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Western Australia Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kurama Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Broome Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Thailand Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos