Gold Coast Tourist Trap Tips by goldcoaster Top 5 Page for this destination
Gold Coast Tourist Traps: 16 reviews and 9 photos
If you come into the Gold Coast on a package tour, be aware that the guides are not paid very well and top up their income by taking tourists to highly overpriced stores that pay a commission. Many will take your passports and tell you the local shopping centres are unsafe. They are really just trying to get you into the shops that pay.
Jump into a cab and go to any of the three big shopping malls on the Gold Coast, Pacific Fair, Harbourtown or Robina Town Centre, and save yourselves alot of money.
Unique Suggestions: Don't buy anything!!! I have seen a 12 pack of Tim-Tams, an Australian chocolate biscuit, sell for over $40. The are less than that in the supermarket. The only way this will stop is if you don't buy at the shops you are taken too.
Fun Alternatives: Go where the locals go. Harbourtown is a large factory outlet mall and has a Nike store, many fashion labels as well as homewares.
More Reviews (24)
- See All Yum Cha and Sushi at the same time!
- See All Good Golfing Hotel
- See All Bushwalking Binna Burra
- Beware Schoolies time.
- See All Sea World id the best theme park.
- See All Golf Mecca
goldcoaster's Related Pages
Gold Coast Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL SANDY BEACHES, THIS IS THE GOLD COAST!"
- "Gold Coast"
- "Gold Coast - My Home"
- "Australia’s GOLD COAST"
- "Home Town"
- "Hi from Sunny Gold Coast"
- "Anything goes land"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gold Coast
- Hotels in Gold Coast
- Transportation in Gold Coast
- Nightlife in Gold Coast
- Restaurants in Gold Coast
- Shopping in Gold Coast
- Warnings and Dangers in Gold Coast
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gold Coast
- 25 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 63 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Gold Coast?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gold Coast
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Fiji Intro, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nha Trang Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hue Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Ha Long Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- United States of America Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Theme Parks.- 105 Reviews, 200 Photos
- Beaches.- 37 Reviews, 87 Photos
- Hinterland / National Parks.- 31 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Markets / Shopping Centres- 15 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Bird / Animal Parks.- 22 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Surfers Paradise.- 19 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Boat Cruises.- 6 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Joy Flights.- 9 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Go-Kart Grand Prix.- 2 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Rafting.- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos