"Home Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast by goldcoaster

Gold Coast Travel Guide: 838 reviews and 1,796 photos

This is my home town. Not the place I was born which is on the other side of the world or the place I grew up but the place I choose to call home.

It is a tourism hotspot in Australia. Alot of people are surprised when I say where I live because the feeling is that not many people live here, that we are all just impermanent. But it is the sixth largest city in Australia and growing. It really is a great place to live. Some of the best beaches on the planet, 42 kilometres of golden fine grain sand, with world heritage listed rain forest only 30 mins away.

Sure it is tacky. Sure there are too many high rise buildings. Sure there are rip off real estate agents, those refugees from 1980s get rich quick schemes that the gullible still fall for. But we have the world's only Versace hotel. We have world class surfing, diving and fishing. We have polar bears and koalas. Theme parks and family picnic parks. That's why I love it. It is the extremes at both ends of the scale.

I drove taxis here for six years and in that time have seen almost everything this town has to offer. I've been in the best hotels and the trashiest dives. Have a guy leave $100 000 cash in my cab and found a lady dead in her car after ODing. Ask me anything and I'll give you a honest answer.

This a a photo from my front yard with the trees getting ready for the 4 weeks of winter.

We have lots of birds and other animals around here as well. This is a mating pair of mangrove kingfishers that nest in our backyard, much to the consternation of our cats who are too old to catch them.

Other avian visitors include a family of currawongs, rainbow lorikeets, cockatoos, galahs, a blue crane and a partridge in a pear tree. The prettiest would have to be the splendid blue wrens or the firetail wrens but getting photos of them is like nailing jelly to a wall.

This is a little butcherbird in our trees.

• Pros:Great beaches, friendly people, good restaurants
  • Cons:Surfers Paradise.
  • In a nutshell:All that glitters...
  • Intro Updated May 15, 2006

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM

hey goldcoaster, some great tips here. I will look at your page more closely over the next few days. I'll be coming your way in sept. maybe they'll be a VT or something. I'll try to set something up i think.

• Sep 14, 2008 at 1:42 AM

The coffee shop and bar within the hotel are vacant ! Also, errors with check-in and booked services resulted with a rude response from the reception manager; no apology, all blame entirely to the booking agent. We won't be staying there again.

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 4:42 AM

Good tips on the area!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 12:03 AM

not a bad place to call home. thanx for the warning about the local lingo

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 9:05 AM

Nice Gold Coast page - looks pretty, longing for more fotos.

• Katie_girl's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 9:17 PM

Mate i live on the Gold Coast and you couldn't of put it down on a page any better. So true what you say and nice to here a local telling it like it is! :)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2005 at 2:38 PM

Looks like just a wonderful place to take a vacation and obviously a wonderful place to live too! Great tips!

• tony248's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 5:50 PM

Very interesting page. Honestly written and to the point. Add more on your "home town", please. Thanks!

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 10:45 PM

hi Lee, everything you say about the Gold Coast is so apt. You do sound like a trustworthy guy and if I get there, you can drive me around any time. Happy Travels! )

• rozehill's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 9:38 PM

Those accommodation tips are very good. Seems local knowledge is the best. The water safety tip of RIPS is very good and very appropriate! I was last there 25 years ago and the place was not so inhabited then.

goldcoaster

“Go hard or stay home. Have fun.”

Badges & Stats in Gold Coast

Have you been to Gold Coast?

Latest Activity in Gold Coast