"To travel is to live!" goldcoaster's Profile
I began travelling early with my parents. We immigrated to Australia from England in 1974 by ship so I had my 5th birthday in Cape Town.
Since then, I have tried to get as many places as possible but it has been the last 3 years I have really gone hard.
The catalyst for the travel extravaganza was our 10th wedding anniversary. We didn't really have a honeymoon so always said we'd go big at 10.
I am fortunate that my wife is also a keen traveller. Her dad was in the merchant navy, he used to captain supertankers, so it is in her blood.
We don't do trips on the $10 a day budget but around $50. Not too hard, not too luxurious. As most of our trips have been in Asia, it is well enough to live like a king on.
Both of us are of the larger persuasion so we can tell you what it is like to be big and travel. Sometimes it is freaky, sometimes good, mostly uncomfortable. Even in countries that have larger people, this still seems to be the case.
Just got back from 10 days camping down at Iluka, our favourite camping place in the known world. Finished that and went to the travel agent and paid for 14 days beach villa in Bali for 15th wedding anniversary in November. Tough but someone has to do it!
I have seen alot of people asking how far road distances are in Australia. With the permission of Queensland Tourism, I have put this on my page so you can get some kind of appreciation for the vastness of my state. From the state capital, Brisbane, to the top of the state, Cape York, is further than New York to Miami. And you haven't left the state!
Even Texas is a small state to us, Queensland is 2.5 times bigger than Texas at 1.72 million square kilometres, and Western Australia is bigger still.
You can also go to www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/guidetoroads/
for other destinations.
Have a look at the album for some better pictures.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 57 Reviews
- 127 Photos
- 4 Countries
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- goldcoaster and tony248 are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Yum Cha and Sushi at the same time! in Gold Coast Restaurants
- Posted in Travel Gold Coast Forum "Re: Gold Coast Weather in September"
- Uploaded a Photo to "To travel is to live!"
updated their Profile Page "To travel is to live!"
- Commented on one of aussiejen's Sanur travel pages
- updated a Iluka Travel Page "My Favourite Camping Spot!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gold Coast Intro, 25 reviews, 14 photos
- Fiji Intro, 17 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Nha Trang Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hoi An Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hue Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Ha Long Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- United States of America Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22200 Reviews - 54008 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15557 Reviews - 30993 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3082 Reviews - 5778 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23039 Reviews - 47275 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 11942 Reviews - 26476 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 1912 Reviews - 4527 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1930 Reviews - 3719 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8369 Reviews - 17097 Photos
- Toronto Hotels
- 4277 Reviews - 8800 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 325 Reviews - 885 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7699 Reviews - 19779 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3342 Reviews - 7500 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2421 Reviews - 6530 Photos