"Caracol, El Pilar, Blue Hole Nat'l Park and MORE!" Cayo District by saraheg77

Cayo District Travel Guide: 313 reviews and 814 photos

I Conquered Caracol!

My Cayo District page will mostly be about Caracol, since it didn't have a specific category. Caracol was a 3 hour (bumpy) drive from the main road in San Ignacio. But it was worth the drive! It was an extensive Mayan city with much to explore! Here I am on the top left at almost the highest point in the city. I have a ton of pictures from here. See my travelogue for more!

Stop at Rio on Pools after Caracol!

About half way down the road that takes you to Caracol, you will find Rio on Pools. This is a great place to stop on your way back from Caracol! See my travelogue for more pictures!

Under a Mayan temple in Caracol!

Here's me and my friend, Amanda, in a little room under one of the temples. It was so fun to explore all the little nooks and crannies. :)

• Pros:Rio on Pools was so refreshing!
  • Cons:The 3-hour bumpy drive
  • In a nutshell:Lots of history to Explore!
  • Last visit to Cayo District: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 27, 2005

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Interesting page, Sarah!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2005 at 6:17 PM

Lots of very useful information here on the Cayo District! A dip in the cool and refreshing river waters sounds like a great idea to me after a day of exertion in the Tropics! Great T'logues too!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2005 at 8:09 AM

Nice page Sarah, Congratulations on your wedding and on bankrupting Mark on the honeymoon by the way!

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 11:15 AM

Great tips and travelogues! I"ll be in Belize soon, so I appreciate all the info, thanks!

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 11:17 AM

Hi Sarah, Loved your Cayo District page! It sounds so refreshing to dip your feel in those pools! I like hammocks too.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 9:23 AM

Sarah, great pages. The Rio on Pools and the hammock rest at El Pilar both look fabulous. Blue Hole National Park sounds wonderful as does St. Herman Cave. Restaurant tip was also good. Super photos.

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2004 at 1:03 AM

great tips with awesome photos. Thanks for sharing with us.

• travelife's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2004 at 5:13 PM

some very helpful tips here!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 8:59 AM

Wow, looks so refreshing there. Also, looks like you had a blast too! Thanks for sharing Sara!!:-))

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2004 at 2:22 AM

The pools do look refreshing, ideal after a long walk. Lovely page, looks like you had fun here with your friends Sarah. Well done (~_~)

saraheg77

“I want to see the whole world!!”

Badges & Stats in Cayo District

Have you been to Cayo District?