Isna Favorite Tips by saraheg77 Top 5 Page for this destination

Isna Favorites: 6 reviews and 9 photos

Carriages Await... - Isna

Carriages Await...

Not Beautiful Housing, but Pretty Churches

Favorite thing: I enjoyed just taking a walk through the town of Esna (Isna). This little town was a nice break from the crowded bigger cities. Of course the carriage drivers still try to get you to take a ride, but it was pretty easy to walk around town with little hassle and just be able to see what life was like in the city. As you can see in the photo, there is typical Egyptian housing that mostly looks unfinished and not too beautiful. However we did see some pretty apartment buildings farther down the street and some pretty churches. Plus, I usually just find beauty in life, not necessarily a well constructed building.

• Written Jun 2, 2004
The Lock! - Isna

The Lock!

Getting through the Lock - A lengthy process!

Favorite thing: Getting through the Esna Lock seemed to be quite a process, and our cruise ship was even first in line! We were heading north from Aswan to Luxor. I went to the top deck of our cruise ship to watch the process. First we had to wait for them to open the gate to enter the lock. Then we went to the side where we had to wait in a holding area that could hold two ships (shown in the picture). In this area, they had to equalize the water on the two sides of the lock. Then they opened the little doors and let us through! I assume they go through this process only once a day for all the ships.

Fondest memory: It was windy on the top deck! Don't let your hat blow away in to the Nile! =)

• Updated Jun 2, 2004

saraheg77

“I want to see the whole world!!”

Badges & Stats in Isna