"Lovely Little Beechworth" Top 5 Page for this destination Beechworth by saraheg77
Beechworth Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 134 photos
Beechworth is located about a 3 hour drive north of Melbourne and about 4.5 hours south of Canberra. It was originally an aborigine settlement, but became a white settlement in the 1800s. It was first named Mayday Hills and was basically just cattle grazing land until gold was discovered in 1852. The population then exploded to about 8,000 people. The town was renamed Beechforth the following year. The post office shown in the picture was first builg in 1859 and rebuilt in 1867, after a fire. It is located on the corner of Ford Street and Camp Street in the middle of town. If you plan to visit Beechworth, check out their comprehensive website for further details. beechworth.com
If you travel west along Ford Street from the center of town, you will find yourself in the Historic precinct which includes several buildings, one being the Courthouse shown in the picture. It was built in 1858 and was the site for the trial of Ned Kelly. There is currently quite a lot of information on display about the Kellys and other things that happened in the early times of the courthouse. There was also a bit about Elizabeth, the first woman hanged. She was 23 when she was hanged for murdering her husband. You can learn more about her in the display. Across from the Courthouse, you will find the Visitor Information Center where you can book tickets for several different tours. See my tips for more details!
When I mentioned I was going to Beechworth, a friend told me I couldn't miss a stop at the bakery and boy was she right! This famous old bakery was on the corner of Camp St and Ford St in the center of town and had a wonderful selection of tasty things!
At our Bed & Breakfast at Beechworth, we were browsing the restaurants trying to decide what to have for dinner. I... more travel advice
The Brewery is open for free tastings from 10am-4pm. While you're there, you can also check out the Lighthorse and... more travel advice
saraheg77's Related Pages
Beechworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beechworth - another "B" of a town"
- "Beechworth & Surrounds"
- "Lovely Little Beechworth"
- "Bicycling Touring Australia - Victoria"
- "BEECHWORTH..A BEAUTIFUL VICTORIAN TOWN.."
- "Beechworth VIC Australia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beechworth
- Hotels in Beechworth
- Restaurants in Beechworth
- Warnings and Dangers in Beechworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beechworth
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Beechworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beechworth
Photos in BeechworthSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hepburn Springs Intro, 6 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cayo District Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 10 reviews, 27 photos
- Cairo Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manly Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pyramids of Giza Intro, 11 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Port Douglas Intro, 7 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beechworth Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Strahan Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos
- Muhafazat Aswan Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos, 3 travelogues