"Lovely Little Beechworth" Top 5 Page for this destination Beechworth by saraheg77

Beechworth Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 134 photos

A Town with a History

Beechworth is located about a 3 hour drive north of Melbourne and about 4.5 hours south of Canberra. It was originally an aborigine settlement, but became a white settlement in the 1800s. It was first named Mayday Hills and was basically just cattle grazing land until gold was discovered in 1852. The population then exploded to about 8,000 people. The town was renamed Beechforth the following year. The post office shown in the picture was first builg in 1859 and rebuilt in 1867, after a fire. It is located on the corner of Ford Street and Camp Street in the middle of town. If you plan to visit Beechworth, check out their comprehensive website for further details. beechworth.com

Beechworth Historic and Cultural Precinct

If you travel west along Ford Street from the center of town, you will find yourself in the Historic precinct which includes several buildings, one being the Courthouse shown in the picture. It was built in 1858 and was the site for the trial of Ned Kelly. There is currently quite a lot of information on display about the Kellys and other things that happened in the early times of the courthouse. There was also a bit about Elizabeth, the first woman hanged. She was 23 when she was hanged for murdering her husband. You can learn more about her in the display. Across from the Courthouse, you will find the Visitor Information Center where you can book tickets for several different tours. See my tips for more details!

The Famous Beechworth Bakery!

When I mentioned I was going to Beechworth, a friend told me I couldn't miss a stop at the bakery and boy was she right! This famous old bakery was on the corner of Camp St and Ford St in the center of town and had a wonderful selection of tasty things!

• Last visit to Beechworth: Dec 2005
  • Intro Written Dec 18, 2005

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2009 at 8:44 AM

gee - what a pretty little town - i sure hope it survives the threat of fire

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I did love that meat pie!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 10:32 PM

Excellent tips, thanks for sharing. (I've been to the Beechworth Bakery in Echuca, mmmmm, excuse me while I salivate)

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2006 at 1:23 AM

I think I should go to Beechworth one day :o)

• MommaCarroll's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 6:46 PM

I sure would like one of those meals at the Beechworth Bakery.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2005 at 5:39 PM

We've been through Beechworth quite a few times on our way up to go skiing @ Falls Creek.. And yes, we've grabbed a bite @ the famours Beechworth Bakery too. Gr8 write up Sarah.

saraheg77

“I want to see the whole world!!”

Badges & Stats in Beechworth

Have you been to Beechworth?

Latest Activity in Beechworth