"Rotterdam Air Race" Rotterdam by SueWarwick
Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,423 reviews and 3,803 photos
I like Rotterdam. It is a nice, clean city, one where you feel at home quite quickly although not that great as a tourist destination. There isn't a huge amount for a tourist to do there apart from taking a look at the maritime museums and the park.
I was there, however, for the Red Bull Air Race. I would have liked to spent some time looking around Het Park but it never stopped raining. In fact, worse than that, there were big, old fashioned storms.
I did get one little break in the weather when I took this picture in of the park. Don't be fooled, the rain soon came down again!
There are a reasonable amount of places to eat and drink in Rotterdam. On the whole the standard of food was very good and there was a decent range of cuisine available, however, the quality of service wasn't that great.
The people of Rotterdam are very friendly and helpful and this was the case at every restaurant I went to, however, they were let down by forgetfulness meaning meals were late getting to the table and ended up cold, main courses didn't arrive etc.
This is a shame as it let down what would be three very good restaurants. I'd say the steak house, Los Toros, was the best service but special mention to Break Away, a bar specialising in cocktails not far from centraal station. Great staff, great atmosphere and some fantastic cocktails!
Living in England, I am used to paying a lot of money for things and generally I find other countries less expensive. Rotterdam, however, did seem rather expensive.
Expect to pay around 20 Euros per person at standard restaurant.
I found drinks were expensive also, a bottle of water in a supermarket cost around 2 Euro. In comparison, I was paying less than 50 cents in Rome a couple of weeks before!
- Pros:A really nice city with very friendly people. Decent location for an Air Race !
- Cons:Expensive, service at most restaurants needs to improve
- In a nutshell:Worth a day trip if you are staying in Amsterdam. Definetly worth it for the Air Race!
Dinner was at Basso Pasta Enzo, a Italian restaurant in a small building on the Coolsingel road. First impressions were... more travel advice
The best steak in town...well, so they say! I have to say, it was a very nice meal costing about 20 Euros per person.... more travel advice
SueWarwick's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 20 reviews, 24 photos
- Prague Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos
- Bled Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Birkenhead Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Riga Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Pescasseroli Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Bohinj Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Rotterdam Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Manchester Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Rotterdam hotel reviews
- Eden Savoy Hotel Rotterdam
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Best Western Pax Hotel
- 123 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Hotel Infante
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 16, 2013
- The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam
- 270 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Maritime Hotel Rotterdam
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- NH Capelle
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Rotterdam City Hostel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 12, 2003
- Hotel New York
- 144 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Hotel Bazar
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- City Camping Rotterdam
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 20, 2013
- Stayokay Rotterdam
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Hotel De Beer Europoort
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 25, 2013