"Walking in Thurstaston" Thurstaston by SueWarwick
Thurstaston Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 51 photos
Thurstaston is basically split in to two halves with Telegraph road between the two parts.
To one side (the right as you come from Heswall) is Thurstaston Common to the other side is Wirral Country Park.
Recently I met a man from Somerset walking in Thurstaston Common who described the view from the hill as one of the 5 best views in the world.
Looking at the picture it is not difficult to see why.
On a clear day you can easily see Wales, the whole of the Wirral Peninsula and on a very good day, Blackpool Tower.
Thurstaston Common is about 3km North West of Heswall.
The area is mostly heathland with woodland towards Royden Park.
Most of the pathways are sandstone.
It is home to several birds such as sparowhawks owls and woodpeckers.
Some say the name Thurstaston comes from Thors Stone, the large sandstone block. The name actualy comes from Old Norse for Thorstienns's Ton (farmstead).
The visitor centre which is part of Wirral Country Park, is open all year where you can find out more information or... more travel advice
Church Farm is an award wining farm shop selling organic produce ranging from fruit and veg (their freshly picked... more travel advice
SueWarwick's Related Pages
Thurstaston Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Thurstaston
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Thurstaston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thurstaston
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 20 reviews, 24 photos
- Prague Intro, 15 reviews, 22 photos
- Bled Intro, 10 reviews, 17 photos
- Birkenhead Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Riga Intro, 8 reviews, 13 photos
- Pescasseroli Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Obcina Bohinj Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Rotterdam Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Manchester Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos