Gruene Favorite Tips by ATXtraveler Top 5 Page for this destination
Gruene Favorites: 2 reviews and 3 photos
HD Gruene Mercantile Building
Favorite thing: During the height of the economic development of Gruene, the namesake of this historic district Henry D. Gruene built this mercantile business. Originally started in 1878 at the same location, the HD Gruene Mercantile building was reconstructed in 1904 to the current building. This building was erected one year after the town of Gruene was renamed from Goodwin, obviously due to the hardwork and dedication of Mr. Gruene. This building served as the economic center of the district for 35 more years until the 1930's when economic development started declining in the area. This particular building has been a Texas Historic Landmark officially since 1987, and a US National Register of Historic Places since 1975.
Favorite thing: Greune Historic District is actually located in New Braunfels, TX, which is located just off Interstate 35 in Central Texas.
Distances from nearest large Texas cities:
Austin - 45mi/75km Northeast
San Antonio - 40 mi/65km Southwest
Houston - 177mi/285km East
The closest major airports to Gruene are:
SAT - San Antonio
AUS - Austin
IAH - Houston (nearest true International Airport)
More Reviews (8)
ATXtraveler's Related Pages
Gruene Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic Texas"
- "Turn of the century charm!"
- "T_Nowak1's new Gruene Page"
- "lumberjack83's new Gruene Page"
- "Gruene, Texas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gruene
- Transportation in Gruene
- Nightlife in Gruene
- Restaurants in Gruene
- Shopping in Gruene
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gruene
- 10 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Gruene?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gruene
- Posted in Travel Caddo Lake State Park Forum "Re: From Dallas to Caddo Lake "
- Wrote a Review Gruene IS Off the Beaten Path in Gruene Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gruene IS Off the Beaten Path"
- Commented on one of T_Nowak1's Gruene travel pages
- created a Gruene Travel Page "Historic Texas"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 73 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 62 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 76 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 54 reviews, 72 photos
- Richmond Intro, 31 reviews, 61 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Dallas Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos