"Shreveport: The closest big city to my In-Laws!" Top 5 Page for this destination Shreveport by ATXtraveler

Shreveport Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 228 photos

Shreveport History

Shreveport, Louisiana was founded in 1836 as a junction point for the Texas Trail that ran from Mexico to that time the Republic of Texas. It is named after Captain Henry Shreve who was a member of the Army Corps of Engineers, and was charged with clearing the Red River as a trade route.

Prior to Americans arriving there, the area was inhabited by the Caddo Indians, which have alot of rich history.

There are many historical landmarks in Shreveport, in fact it has the second most landmarks in Louisiana, behind New Orleans.

• Last visit to Shreveport: Jul 2004
  • Intro Written Jul 7, 2004

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Nice page

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2008 at 8:59 AM

We haven't explored any of Louisiana yet and I feel it calling us!!!!! I'd love to tour some plantation homes--hopefully someday soon...

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 7:01 PM

Mark, I found your pages on Shreveport quite interesting and informative. I especially enjoyed the restaurant tips.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2005 at 5:05 PM

Ha! You didn't know how much ice cream you'd be getting into when you married Sarah, eh? That's funny.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2005 at 9:16 PM

They're building a Copeland's near me in Alexandria -- now if only they'd build a McAlister's!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 10:44 AM

Not a nice town if you are a crayfish! So you watch your College football in just a pair of warm socks and a pair of thermal underwear???

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 10:38 PM

Great tips Mark, looks like a great city with some fun things to do. Thanks for always sharing with us!:-)

• barbieann's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 7:25 PM

Nice tips on Shreveport, Mark! I need to try the Cool Beans restaurant!

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2004 at 6:13 PM

Time is money, long hours on driving? No I prefer flying.

ATXtraveler

“Don't Worry About Tomorrow... Its Already Happened in Australia!”

Badges & Stats in Shreveport

Have you been to Shreveport?