New Orleans Shopping Tips by ATXtraveler Top 5 Page for this destination
New Orleans Shopping: 151 reviews and 170 photos
One of the interesting shops we went into down in the French Quarter was a doll shop which specialized in voodoo dolls. Although I do not know much about voodoo dolls, I do know that they have quite a few cute big lipped dolls throughout the stores, with some great craftsmanship.
The dolls came in all sizes, from a keychain sized one up to a full sized doll. There were also some picture prints and also some hand painted items in the store, but the emphasis was on the voodoo doll in the store.
What to pay: The smallest key chains were $3, and the larger ones were closer to $100.
Address: Chatres Street, near Conti
Directions: French Quarter
Theme: Toys and Games
Bric-à-brac refers to items of low value, which are typically sold in a street market style setting. This is the ultimate definition of what is available in the French Market outdoor shops in New Orleans. Mardi Gras masks and beads, t-shirts galore, knick knacks, trinkets, and other things are available. There are also some local artists' work, which appear to be much more valuable than the Bric-à-brac label I gave to the entire shop.
Your best bet is to just walk around for an hour or so and figure out if there is anything you can not live without.
What to buy: Bric-à-brac
What to pay: $3 to $500
Address: 1100 and 1200 block of N. Peters
Theme: Local Craft
Although I likely would not have given this shop a second look, Sarah was interested in the unique look of some of the soap and bath products in Lush. Her friend Angela (ADawn412) loved some of the products from this store when she lived in London, so we thought we would give it a shot.
Sarah is a big time bath fan, so her focus was mainly on the bath products, including something I had not seen called the bath melt. Essentially it is like a marshmallow for your bathtub, simply drop it in while running your water, let it dissolve completely, then jump in. They had a little demonstration while we were in the shop, but I am sure you will just have to try it for yourself.
If you choose to make a purchase, you will get a ticket here also, which enters you into a drawing for a prize that they pull two times a day (1pm and 4pm). The gift they were giving away was a $200 gift set.
What to pay: You could spend $5 or $500.
Address: 405 Decatur
Phone: (504) 525-0730
Theme: Bath and Beauty
More Reviews (51)
- See All Bicycling
- See All Drag Queens
- See All Balconies versus Galleries
- See All Creole Style Pizza and Pasta
- See All French Quarter Carriage Rides
- See All Street Performers or Buskers.
- See All Style in the heart of the Quarter
- November Packing List
- See All Pickpockets Vacation Holiday
- See All Late Night Pizza and Daquiris
- See All New Orleans History
Been to New Orleans?Share your travels with the world!
ATXtraveler's Related Pages
New Orleans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two Visits - 54 Years Apart"
- "new orleans louisiana"
- "The Naughty Madame"
- "New Orleans-An Intriguing Visit to the Past"
- "Crescent City Comes Calling"
- "THE BIG EASY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Orleans
- Hotels in New Orleans
- Transportation in New Orleans
- Nightlife in New Orleans
- Restaurants in New Orleans
- Shopping in New Orleans
- Warnings and Dangers in New Orleans
- See All...
Explore the World
- Teakettle Village Hotels
- Pulilan Hotels
- Maisons-Alfort Hotels
- Valton Hotels
Badges & Stats in New Orleans
- 54 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (117)
Have you been to New Orleans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Orleans
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 73 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 62 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 76 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 54 reviews, 72 photos
- Richmond Intro, 31 reviews, 61 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Dallas Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest New Orleans hotel reviews
- Parkview Marigny Bed and Breakfast
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- The Dive Inn
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott New Orleans-Convention Center
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Maison Pierre Lafitte
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 26, 2012
- Loews New Orleans Hotel
- 459 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express French Quarter Downtown
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Villa Convento
- 213 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Auld's Sweet Olive Bed and Breakfast
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Le Marais
- 635 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Annabelle's House
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2012
- Old Historic Creole Inn
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Casa Conchita Bed & Beverage Inn
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- St. Charles Guest House
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Bourbon Street- 50 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Swamp Tours- 34 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Garden District- 34 Reviews, 64 Photos
- Jackson Square- 50 Reviews, 99 Photos
- French Quarter- 53 Reviews, 94 Photos
- Mule drawn carriage- 15 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cemeteries- 44 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Cruise the Mississippi- 30 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Plantations- 22 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Riverwalk- 25 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All New Orleans Things to Do