"Leona Valley - My childhood home" Leona Valley by ATXtraveler
Leona Valley Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 3 photos
Our history is truly a vibrant part of early California. The early residents of Leona Valley were the Kitanemuk Indians, a branch of the Shoshone or Serrano tribe. Arrowheads, flints and other artifacts are unearthed from time to time and remind us of their culture.
Spanish explorers headed by the first Governor of Alta California came upon Leona Valley in 1776. As the commerce and travel increased, the route of the main stage line between Cajon Pass and lower San Joaquin Valley paralleled Amargosa Creek through our Valley.
The valley takes its name from Miguel Leonis, "King of the Calabasas" whose cattle and sheep ranch was by far the largest in the area. Settlers immigrated from Germany beginning in the 1870's. For many years the rich valley soil provided generous grain harvest. cherries, Almonds and Lilacs flourished here.
The valley today is the home of farm and ranch oriented families who enjoy the beauty of a quiet rural life.
We know you will enjoy Leona Valley and are happy to share with you the peacefulness of the pastoral blessing we call home.
(History courtesy of LV Cherry Growers Assoc.)
One of the keys to living in Leona Valley was to make sure you get what you need... and when you need Pizza, Jackie's... more travel advice
ATXtraveler's Related Pages
Leona Valley Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Leona Valley
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (109)
Have you been to Leona Valley?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Leona Valley
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 73 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 62 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 76 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 54 reviews, 72 photos
- Richmond Intro, 31 reviews, 61 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Dallas Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos