"Tropical North Queensland's landing strip...Cairns" Cairns by ATXtraveler

Cairns Travel Guide: 869 reviews and 2,212 photos

The heart of backpacking...

Well, what can I say about Cairns. How I wish I would have found this place when I was about 22 years old and before the real world hit me like a ton of bricks.

This place is the true mecca of the idealistic traveler, young and old, and home to some of the greatest personalities to have ever never been heard from...

I spent one night in Cairns at Gilligan's backpackers, and met some of the most memorable people in the world. Their views on life and the world were truly unique, and someday when they grow up, I hope it all comes true for them! Until then, it will just be purple haze and doof-doof music, and life will go on!

On the other side of the coin however, there is a rich and resounding tourism industry being fed day by day by one of the most beautiful things in the entire world, the Great Barrier Reef. This truly tops my list of things every person should see once in their life, preferrably when they are at an age where they can fully appreciate it!

We had a phenomenal time here in the greater Cairns area, and I would recommend it to anyone... but for those who have passed the idealistic stage and have hit reality... head up to Port Douglas, its alot more suited for your travel adventure, and is closer to the outer reef :)

• Last visit to Cairns: Apr 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 14, 2006

• Jul 12, 2008 at 12:47 PM

i like thew tip about Aboriginal Culture !

• Mar 21, 2008 at 12:43 AM

no live music in Melbourne?? Are you mad? Seriously, it has one of the best live scenes in the world. I'd recommend starting with the Empress, Fitzroy, then anywhere from there

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 8:27 PM

Ha ha, now that I'm an old fart I guess I'll have to go to Port Douglas if I get a chance to go back ;-)

• TheTravelSlut's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Good pages on Cairns. Next stop will be your other Australia pages. Thanks Ann, The Travel Slut

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 3:00 PM

Interesting introduction and a kind of place to visit for me, I see. Your local customs tip made me smile :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 6:28 AM

Mark, a nice 'short one' on your impressions of Cairns! It definitely is a spot that should be experienced at least once in life. I did not get to see as much as I would have liked - 3 young children in-tow at the time!

• Travmad's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2006 at 5:23 PM

I was 25 when I first went Cairns but I still didn't find an appreciation for it.

ATXtraveler

“Don't Worry About Tomorrow... Its Already Happened in Australia!”

Badges & Stats in Cairns