Lorne Things to Do Tips by ATXtraveler Top 5 Page for this destination
Lorne Things to Do: 34 reviews and 84 photos
Eastern View Memorial Arch
The Great Ocean Road represents alot of things to Australians... determination, hard work, and memories. In particular, the road was built to memorialize the heroic actions of Anzacs in World War I. As the work became completed, a toll was implemented on the road, and at the beginning of the toll portion was a memorial arch, "Returned Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Great Ocean Road".
Throughout the changes of the road and the years, it was determined that this arch was actually too small because of vehicle advancements, and there was a dispute over whether the memorial should be removed or replaced. After months of discussion, a truck actually lost control, smashed into it, and brought it down. Although it was rebuilt to more acceptable specifications, a fire burned the second one down! Yet again, it was rebuilt and stands still today around the "Eastern View" portion of the road, very close to Lorne.
Enjoy your drive, and at some point, please do remember those who lost their lives in World War I, as well as the dedicated soldiers that returned and built this wonderful memorial!
If you are in Lorne, one of its portions of natural beauty is the beach park that is located at its focal point. On the shore of Louttit Bay, with the Lorne Surf Lifesavers club just seconds away, a nice safe swim is possible for people of all ages.
As a reminder, always swim within the flags!
During its busiest months, it is also a dog-free beach, which means you will not have to run back into the surf to clean off your feet after stepping on a landmine.
More Reviews (3)
ATXtraveler's Related Pages
Lorne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "....And We're Off..... The beginning of the GOR!"
- "Sweetberry's Lorne Page"
- "Lorne - Along the Great Ocean Road"
- "Lorne - Somewhere on the Great Ocean Road"
- "Another Beachside Town on the Great Ocean Road"
- "Lorne, Great Ocean Road, Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lorne
- Hotels in Lorne
- Transportation in Lorne
- Restaurants in Lorne
- Shopping in Lorne
- Warnings and Dangers in Lorne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lorne
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (119)
Have you been to Lorne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lorne
- Posted in Travel Melbourne Forum "Re: Melbourne (after a business..."
- Commented on one of Audrey118's Lorne travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lorne Beach and Park in Lorne Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lorne Beach and Park"
- created a Lorne Travel Page "....And We're Off..... The beginning of the GOR!"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 73 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 62 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 76 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 54 reviews, 72 photos
- Richmond Intro, 31 reviews, 61 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos
- Dallas Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Luxor Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos