Dachau Things to Do Tips by ATXtraveler Top 5 Page for this destination
Dachau Things to Do: 123 reviews and 249 photos
German Concentration Camp Guard Tower
One of the most imposing structures throughout the memorial is the Guard Towers. Located on the perimeter of the facility, and still in their original state are the guard towers used to keep the prisoners within the walls of the prison. It was said that the guards had the ability to shoot any prisoner that so much as touched the inner set of barbed wire fence onsite.
For 12 years, these guard towers were the site of many gun shot deaths. Even to this day looking at them signifies how large this loss was to the world.
One thing that I learned when viewing this site dedicated to those who lost their life in the Holocaust was the fact that the bodies were not actually cremated, they were incinerated. A Crematorium is a location that burns one body at a time, and seperates each individual's remains. This was actually an incinerator, which burns multiple bodies at once, and mixes the remains.
Empty Space where Concentration Camp Tents were
During our trip to the Dachau Memorial, one of the most stirring moments came when you look upon the empty field where the makeshift homes were for all of these Jewish prisoners. At any one time, there could be up to 30,000 prisoners in the camp.
I knew what to expect from the gas chambers and the incinerators, but seeing the sheer number of tent moorings on the grounds was amazing. A city the size of my current hometown was the relative number of prisoners held at any one time.
"Showers" inside Jewish Concentration Camp
Located in the Southeastern corner of the Dachau Concentration Camp was the Gas Chamber in which over 200,000 Jews were executed in a period of 12 years from 1933 until the camp was liberated in 1945.
It is truly amazing to think that the German Nazis could take people in groups of 50 at a time into an area and allow them to "shower" by removing all of their clothing, and then putting them in dark room similar to a gym shower. Instead of water turning on, poison gas would seep in killing everyone in the room. There would then be guards who would come in and move those dead bodies into the crematorium for cremation.
Dachau Nazi Concentration Camp
I would not do justice to re-write everything that has been written about the Holocaust, and I hope to provide you with as many links to learn more about it on your own.
We visited the Concentration camp in Dachau with saddened hearts, having seen so much tragedy in our own country only 10 days earlier (Sept. 11th).
This site really is an amazing tribute, that is packed full of history, and photographs. I would recommend that you visit, as it is an important part of history that needs to be shared.
This site was operational from 1933 until liberated in 1945.
More Reviews (7)
ATXtraveler's Related Pages
Dachau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dachau: the beginning of the end"
- "To Honor the Dead, and to Remind the Living"
- "dachau germany"
- "The former SS concentration camp"
- "Dachau, even the name evokes horror..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dachau
- Hotels in Dachau
- Transportation in Dachau
- Nightlife in Dachau
- Restaurants in Dachau
- Warnings and Dangers in Dachau
- See All...
Explore the World
- Broome Hotels
- Benidorm Hotels
- Marina del Rey Hotels
- Menglembu Hotels
Badges & Stats in Dachau
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Dachau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dachau
- Posted in Travel French Polynesia Forum "Re: Tahiti vacation packages"
- Commented on one of herzog63's Dachau travel pages
- Wrote a Review Hire a German College Student in Dachau Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hire a German College Student"
- created a Dachau Travel Page "To Honor the Dead, and to Remind the Living"
Photos in DachauSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne Intro, 73 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 62 reviews, 107 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 76 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Orleans Intro, 54 reviews, 72 photos
- Richmond Intro, 31 reviews, 61 photos
- Christchurch Intro, 35 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Antonio Intro, 40 reviews, 50 photos
- Dallas Intro, 24 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Luxor Intro, 28 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Worth Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Dachau hotel reviews
- Hotel Gotz
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013