"The old part of Erfurt is just beautiful" Top 5 Page for this destination Erfurt by christine.j

Erfurt Travel Guide: 298 reviews and 912 photos

The Black Beer of Thuringia

I've updated one tip only, the one about the doorknocker at the cathedral.

I'm not a beer drinker and my koala usually doesn't like it either, but this black beer here is just too good ! It's sweet and just perfect when you're tired after a day of sight seeing.But you have to be careful, sweet or not sweet, it's still beer and contains alcohol. Some people say even more than the usual light beer, I don't know. Anyway, we enjoyed it!

Erfurt is the capital of the state of Thuringia. It has been an important trading place for centuries, as it used to be at the crossing of two old trade routes, one leading from France to Poland and another leading from Italy to the sea in the North.
Today you can see half-timbered houses built on bridges, you can sit and enjoy a coffee on the bridges in one of the many cafés and you see grand old houses around the city centre.
Neigbouring Weimar is more famous, but in my mind Erfurt is the more beautiful of the two. Even though more and more tourists have been coming to this beautiful town, it's still a lot less crowded than Weimar.

Colourful ornaments at the old houses there

Walking through Erfurt I just love to look at the old houses. Many of them have small paintings or small stuccos above the doors or at the corners.I was told this was a way of showing how much money a family had. Society was so strictly structured, that if someone had made a lot money in trading, they still couldn't just" move up " in society, if they had been born in a lower class.
And most status symbols were constricted by the classes. But if you owned a house, you could add as many ornaments as you wanted to.
I don't know if this is the reason for the many colourful houses in Erfurt; maybe the citizens simply liked it.
This painting shows a fish wearing a crown, seemingly talking to a bird.
I have no idea if there's any story behind it, but it looks like something of a fairytale.

• Pros:A wonderful old town
  • Cons:Lots of drunken kids
  • In a nutshell:Deserves to be much better known
  • Last visit to Erfurt: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 7, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Out plan visit is next spring to area-but maybe no time for here. You did a good job of showing a lovely town. We go to Dresden & Bamberg in October. Auf wiedersehen

• wabIV's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Hello Christine, Thank you for the very useful Erfurt tips. I'm looking forward to visiting this beautiful town in the next fews weeks. Best regards.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Christine, I am reminded of all the wonderful stories you told me in Heidelberg & seeing the scratching post took me back to Schriesheim. I think Erfurt will have to go on the list for a future visit. Kate

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Excellent page, full of informative, interesting tips. The Town seems packed full of quirky "things!"

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Stunning tips, nice to see that there are places that will accommodate children menu's for adults ;-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM

what a fascinating page - i am sure that statue is holding an ice cream!

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 1:16 AM

What a nice town ... liked your walk with torches and the gossips stones :-)), houses , so many flowers !

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 3:42 AM

Great page Christine! Hope to visit one day too.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Hi Christine, can you imagine that I was in Erfurt three times (3 x 3 days) and did not take a single photo?! Well - pre-digital age. And I was there for business. So I enjoyed your trip through this beautiful city. Nice memories, nice stories :-) Sissi

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2008 at 5:55 AM

One beer for the woad please ;~)

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Badges & Stats in Erfurt